The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished my saltwater mixing station tonight. I have a kinetico house RO system that I tapped in to and ran a line to my Spectra DI unit. I put in a shelf above for miscellaneous items. I had an old RO spigot that I mounted to the wall that can swivel so I can fill directly into my trash can (2 1/2 gal at a time) or fill a pitcher for top offs. I will probably go with an ATO at some point but for now this seems to work. :dance:
Also, I am fairly new and I'm open to suggestions.

Attachments

·
Administrator
46,675 Posts
How is the whole house RO unit working out? I am in a hard water area and getting tired of replacing faucets and showerheads

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry the House RO is for Drinking water and Ice Maker only. The rest of the house water (faucets/toilets/etc) are on a water softener. In hard water area like mine, the water softener is the only way to go. I have no mineral deposits on faucets and you don't have to use as much soap for showers/washing machine/dishwasher etc... If you go with the water softener, it puts extra salt in your drinking water so we then get that out along with everything else via the House RO system. Our icecubes are crystal clear and coffe/tea taste awsome using that ultra pure RO water to brew with....:banana:

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the Kinetico brand as well. They run the whole system hydraulically using only water pressure. No electricity at all...pretty cool. Kind of expensive, but less plumbing repair....

·
Registered
483 Posts
I wouldn't put the shelf directly over an open can like that. You'll eventually drop something off the shelf into the can full of water. Also how do you plan to move that can of water? Or are you pumping from it?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good point, I should probably not store any additives on the shelve. I use 5 gal buckets to transport it up stairs for water changes. Its only three buckets of water that I have to carry, so not too much work.
Thinking of installing a dumb waiter from basement to first floor so I don't have to carry the buckets up the stairs. I can just thorw the buckets on the elevator. Just Joking...LOL

·
I got Crabs
1,458 Posts
Sorry the House RO is for Drinking water and Ice Maker only. The rest of the house water (faucets/toilets/etc) are on a water softener. In hard water area like mine, the water softener is the only way to go. I have no mineral deposits on faucets and you don't have to use as much soap for showers/washing machine/dishwasher etc... If you go with the water softener, it puts extra salt in your drinking water so we then get that out along with everything else via the House RO system. Our icecubes are crystal clear and coffe/tea taste awsome using that ultra pure RO water to brew with....:banana:
Is your House Ro hooked up after the Water Softener? ... I just got a unit from airwaterice, and toasted all 5 filters in less then a week... dam hardwater... I am now on the look out for a good water softener for the whole house... prefer non salt but it seems to be the cheapest...

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
+1 on the shelf, I would dump everything on the shelf, then hit my head on the shelf trying to get the stuff out, and then dump that in there too....
If this happens, I promise to send pics from the hospital...lol:lol:

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
salty 198,
I have city water (that is hard), it first goes through a dechlorinator, then a large sediment filter, then through the water softener. After that it hits the entire house. Then off of my hot water heater is a line that supplies My RO Unit. The water supplying my RO unit is already filtered somewhat. It is easier on the RO filters and makes them last a little longer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts