The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was started in 1971 and was moved three times. The longest it was in one place was 40 years. The last move was almost 3 years ago.
The glass was also changed three times as it got scratched from cleaning. It was started in a 40 gallon glass, then for 45 years it was in 100 gallon glass and now 125 gallons.

It uses 100% NSW and the oldest fish, a firefish is about 35 or 40 years old. His mate is a couple of years younger and they spawn constantly.
There are about 25 fish. Watchman gobies are spawning as are 6 line wrasses, fireclowns and rainsford gobies.

It uses dolomite and a reverse Undergravel filter. The ATO, algae scrubber and skimmer are also DIY
Nothing was ever quarantined or medicated.

(Actually it's birthday is in March of this year in 2 weeks so I cheated a little)
012.JPG

Longnose and Copperband.jpg

FTS Feb.jpg

https://ww
File.jpg

Red - Copy.jpg

Hippo.jpg

w.youtube.com/watch?v=2y_FFCN5ZBo&feature=youtu.be

·
Shark..but a friendly one
15,036 Posts
2 Weeks......Yeah, I type THAT slow myself. Completely understand. 🤔 (y)

But I just have to call your bluff there Pal........Please tell me that's not Humpback Whales singing in your tank on the video? I will call the 'whale police'!o_O

Congratulations on the anniversary......THAT is an accomplishment in anyone's book.
Hack

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got that humpback whale when I started the tank. He got big so now he just keeps his head underwater in the tank. :rolleyes:

·
15,036 Posts
.........Uuuuut Ohhhhhhh......Doug's condoning keeping Grey Whales in an 'under sized' tank.......WHALE POLICE!!!!!!!! 🤔 :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can't believe it, just now I saw a gecko goby in my tank. I haven't seen that fish in 6 or 8 months. I may have two of them. I bought two of them about 5 years ago and it is a fish that stays well hidden and I have never seen the entire fish. I only get a very quick flash of a tail when I shoot some worms near his cave in the back of the tank.
They are a beautiful fish, but no on

·
15,036 Posts
👍 ! 🤔.......hmmmmmm, wonder if'n any of my long forgotten fish will reappear some day? NAH......flowers n gushy words have all been sent for em. BUT I do have 2 fish that do 'surprise me' when I do catch a fleeting glimpse of them.....a Green Banded Goby, and a Green Clown Goby......anyone seeing a 'pattern' here?

20200505_180347.jpg 20200303_171657.jpg
Can't say they' hide' out of shyness, they just hang around in places they don't stick out in. I'm blessed to have an 'island' set up where I'm afforded a 360 degree walk around.......and unless they go 'deep' into the reef I can usually, with patients, locate them......but that 'patients' thing is the reason they're scarce.;)
Hack

1 - 11 of 11 Posts