Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,
i ordered an acyrlic waste collector (wc-2) from andy at myreefcreation.com. and when the unit arrived i was happy with what i got. but, it wasn't until i took a closer look, that i discovered something i didn't like.
i couldn't help but notice excessive router marks that extended past the sealing lip of the gasket. so i dissassembled the unit, and found what was a large "m", and what turns out to be a "mrc" lettering made by a router.
i contacted andy first by phone, then by email, and sent a picture of what was discovered, and i asked for a replacement. his first response was to tell me to flip it over, and no replacement is offered, and then later offered to refund me if i sent it back.

andy doesn't see how this is an issue. he says he stands behind his product, and says the etching won't effect it. plus has offered to refund me. now, granted, i am peaved, i paid a fair price, and i feel i was shorted in the quality of the finished product. andy says that all of these units are made like this. and that they are cnc'd with the mrc logo. and that it wouldn't be cost effective to make them seperately without the mrc logo. then why does he offer d.i.y. pieces for kits?

i think i will keep the unit. i'm not willing to spend $7.51 out of pocket expense to ship it back. it would have been cheaper if andy would have just sent a replacement top plate, without the "mrc" logo engraved into it.

i guess if i want a replacement, i will need to look elsewhere.

:(

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Yea thats very tacky thanks for letting us know about his quality.:)

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Mike, can you show us the lid with the top in place and all the plumbing in place? I still stand behind my products...if the product has not been used, I will refund you the money, but you still have to ship it back to me. Let me know...again it doesn't affect performance....I have sold hundreds of these and have never had anyone complain about the routed out hole for the pieces....so I am at a loss for what you want, when I offered the refund as well.

Mike FWIW, the DIY flanges I sell still have the MRC logo on them...again no one has ever had a problem with it. Sorry you are not happy. :confused:

·
Registered
637 Posts
Isnt the MRC just like anyother logo on something? I dont see a problem with putting your logo on a product you sell. Do you send back your other stuff because the logo is on it?!?!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
andy, here's the pics you requested.
banmann, i don't have a problem with a company logo on his product, just that when i received it, had it been the otherside up, i wouldn't have noticed it.

Attachments

G

·
okay stupid question, whats a wastecontainer.... i know a container for waste but where is it in relation to your tank, and how exactly is it used? what bennifit>

·
Registered
168 Posts
I can kind of understand cromagnum's point of view the logo doesn't look that good when assembled even if it doesn't effect the functionality. Maybe if the logo wasn't near the hole it wouldn't look so bad, but I do agree that there is no reason to return it if it works perfectly good

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yeah , what is it ? Is it just a collector for your protein skimmer ?
If so , it's really not a highlight , much admired peice of equipment. Don't get me wrong , I like all the gadgets to but if it isn't broke ? Why sweat the small thing ?
I mean , ya know :)

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
If Dell had chosen to plant their printed on logo in the center of my display, they wouldn't be getting my money. Although the screen still displays, the placement of the logo could be classified as inconsiderate.

Although it's fair to logo a product, the placement of the logo in those pictures would make me question it as well. Even though it may function as expected, it just doesn't look like top quality effort (in workmanship, planning, and consideration of consumer) went into the product.

Usually products are made with a pride of offering the consumer a sense of complete satisfaction, not partially appealing with adequate functionality.

From all the praise I've heard about your products and service Andy, I would have expected a little more.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Buzz I think thats what hes saying this isnt a NIKE shoe.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Buzz, the analogy of the Dell monitor and this is not close to being adequate. The monitor is to be seen and you HAVE to look at it for it to function. This is a non essential element in the build process. I have these lids made for me on a CNC machine. I literally buy hundreds at a time. This one lid is used on several different items...MR-1 skimmers, CR-1, CR-2, CR-S reactors, and also WC-1 and WC-2 waste containers. When I take one off the shelf, I don't worry about whether I grabbed the "correct" one...I grab one. I sell 10x1 more reactors and skimmers than containers...this is not an excuse but a fact. I feel like if I had turned the lid upside down then I shipped it, Mike would have felt I was hiding something to begin with....I turn them all the same. Never had any complaints in about 3 years of doing this.

I am looking at getting some new lids and when I get the run, I will see if I can get some without the logo..if I do, I will send you one Mike, but they are going to be out of 1/2" gray PVC.....so you may not like the different color.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Well I think for a waste collector its really not a big deal, as long as it doesnt leak, all should be fine.
On the other hand Andy you should take a peek at this type of logo. I think a printed version or something like that would be a better idea, or possible etching in a different location. I got a couple of flanges from you and they were made fine and came in just great but it made it quite a challenge to find a location on the top plate to drill through and run a tap.

anyway have fun boys and play nice

Mike

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
I'm sorry, I just don't get it, regardless of how or where someone signs their work, it is a unique aspect of their workmanship, regardless of the perception of the individual using/buying, operating the item.

In our logo conscious society, I would think that this would be a plus, much like buying beenie babies with the tags still attached...

...hmmmm, i dunno...

·
Registered
398 Posts
Guys, you have to understand manufacturing!
I do not hear you complaining about his prices, and one way he can do this is to get a STOCK flange in bulk CNCed from his supplier. Once you have the basic flange, you mod it for whichever product your making. Now if he had to special order each different stock flange, the cost would increase greatly. I am sure a few of you are going to jump on and say you would pay a higher price . . . . . Anyhow, if you do not get the point of this post by now, i give up.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Buzz I am with you......

Here is my 2 cents,

A logo is not a bad thing when placed properly. By looking at the pictures this is at a feed through, which to me is not the proper place. Just seeing where it is, makes me think of a couple of problems right off the bat:

1. Potential for cracking or splitting
2. Potential for leakage (last thing that I want to have leaking on my carpet is what gets skimmed out of my tank.
3. CRAFTMANSHIP..... If I saw that, the first thing I would think is Ok what’s wrong with the rest of the construction. Or was the operator thinking about the weekend on a Friday or DANG its Monday again.

Final thought,

Mike and Myself work in 2 different industries, but one thing we have in common is we have worked (working) in mass production on the High tech/high end for over 15yrs. That product would have never gotten by QC. And maybe that’s the point of view Mike is coming from. (Not to speak for him) That it should not matter if it is a 5$ part or a 2 million $ part it’s just a matter of QUALITY................IMO only

Chris

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.