The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is my design for the plumbing sytem from my tank to the sump and back to the tank. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated so that I can fix any bugs or problems with the design in the design stage and not in the up and running (pain in the ---) stage.

Thanks
Josh

View attachment fishtank.pdf

·
TCMAS Member
3,023 Posts
Josh, you may want to consider using a durso or some other standpipe on your overflow, you may run into a noise problem with you current overflow plan.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The link above will give you an idea about the durso.

I'm not sure what type of flow you hope to get, but do you think the pressure loss at the first set of outputs will be small enough to allow enough flow at the last set of outputs?

oops, the link isn't working.

Go to: www.dursostandpipes.com

·
Land Shark
5,946 Posts
If you're drilling a hole in the tank, either put it in the bottom, or else a little higher up, and then don't bother having your overflow go the whole height of your tank. Also, where the water enters the sump, put it all the way to the right side, then your skimmer, and the output of the skimmer should be closest to your return pump to the tank. Also, when it returns from the tank, split it off to each side, then bring it into the tank. If you want to further split it off, then use loc line to do that. You may find that just splitting it into 2 is going to cut down the flow quite a bit.

HTH, YMMV, etc. :)

·
Land Shark
5,946 Posts
I'm also a fan of using braided clear tubing instead of flex pvc, at least for the return. I would also take out the 90 elbows in your return, which should be a problem with flex PVC...not sure you'd need the ball valve on the 2" line either.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
O.k. So the durso is the way to go. But can I do it without drilling the bottom of the tank, because I have an AGA tank which I believe is tempered on the bottom. Can I put in a hole in the tank then that low on the back wall and not have to worry about the glass losing its strength? Also having the the 4 return holes will not have enough flow so should I just do 2? I guess I was thinking about maximizing the distribution of the return. Also is the Oceanrunner @ 1700gph overkill then for a 75 gallon tank. I thought that this was a closed loop system, so if it is not is there an example of one that I can see, as this is what I was trying to do in the first place.

Thanks for all the feedback so far.
Josh

·
Too Busy Fishy
456 Posts
Or try this, if you have room behind the tank.

PM spazz for info on getting such a custom overflow.

I like to think "outside of the box". In this case, I thought the overflow "outside of the box" of water that is the display tank.

You're really only limited by the space you have to work with, your fabrication skills (or those of your acylics guy), and creativity.

Oh... I'd seriously consider installing TWO drains. If you wonder why, imaging what'll happen in your system if the one drain in your tank gets clogged by algae, or a fish or a snail, or something.

·
No frags for you!
948 Posts
Things I noticed:

-- 2" return doesn't look like it's needed. I have 1.5" for both drain & return at approx 600 GPH and have no problems at all. Using 2" isn't really needed IMO and your pipe/fittings will just cost you more.

-- The union/ball valve near the sump on the drain isn't needed. The tank will drain out and then not drain any more when you shut it off. This will allow you to do any maintenance and not need the valve. Union may be useful if using PVC pipe, but I just used a threaded coupler and it did the trick in case I ever need to move the sump, etc.

--If you are using all flexible stuff (Spaflex) then make sure you have a way to secure it somewhere so that say the drain pipe doesn't accidentally come out of the sump and empty onto your floor some day.

-- for the return holes around the tank, you don't need to use spaflex there either. PVC pipe is cheaper, and will make a cleaner look as well as be more rigid. I'd use the hard pipe over flex tubing.

--as someone said, having 4 return holes is a bit much for your relatively low flow. the water is going to take the easiest exit possible, and with that low flow, there's nothing to make it go to any other return holes. Most likely 1 or 2 will have most the water coming out and others will sit there basically useless.

--If your tank's not already drilled, consider putting the overflow in the corner. It will seem like you get more underwater real estate and then you only need a 2 sided bent piece of acrylic vs a 3 sided one. I went with a corner and like it much better.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, yes, and yes. I think tonight I am going to completely redraw my plan and see what you guys think. I will do the closed loop forsure as it seems much cheaper than tunzes and I like the work involved (crazy maybe, but I love work where I have something to look at when i am done). Also I dont think I need as big of pump for the sump maybe a 600-700gph should be plenty and I think the 1700gph would be great for the closed loop (I think or do I still need more flow).

Thanks Alot everybody.
Josh

·
Registered
815 Posts
Looks good, however, I would add a ball valve with a union next to each return hole for the closed loop. This will allow you to control the flow in the tank. If not on all 4, at least on the top 2 returns. Otherwise I don't think you will get any benefical use out of the spray bar. Also add a ball valve with union next to the pump, then you can remove the pump without draining the tank for cleaning or upgrading... ;)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When you guys are talking about diameters of durso's is it important to keep the durso larger than the bulkhead as well as the line from the bulkhead to the sump? For example a 1.5" Durso with a 1" bulkhead with a 1.5" line to the sump? Or do I have it backwards?

·
Registered
815 Posts
jquigley78 said:
When you guys are talking about diameters of durso's is it important to keep the durso larger than the bulkhead as well as the line from the bulkhead to the sump? For example a 1.5" Durso with a 1" bulkhead with a 1.5" line to the sump? Or do I have it backwards?
You got it right!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts