The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi… I have been out of the hobby for almost 23 years and a lot has changed since then.. And back then I never could afford the equipment I really needed so did not have a whole lot of success..

Fast forward to now… My little 5 year old girl has been asking me for 3 months that she wants a fish tank for her B-Day this Nov… Well after thinking about it for a while and waiting for a good excuse to get back into the Hobby, I decided to go for it.. I was actually thinking about fresh water and then my wife, out of the blue, said why not salt water…

I am in no hurry and have been reading and researching all I can to get myself caught up and current..

Here is my planned setup:

I have purchased the Nano Cube 28 HQI with the PC option. I also got the Nano 28 Protein Skimmer to go with it..

I plan to start with Live sand(Sugar size) at about 1 and ½ inch depth.. And then Live cured Rock… About 20 to 25 LBS of it..

Then at some point I want to add 3 or 4 small Reef friendly fish.

Next I want to add a few of the more easy to care for Corals and then a small clean up crew and 2 or 3 small reef friendly invertebrates..

Let me know if you see any areas of concern for my plan..

Thanks!

· Registered
818 Posts
i think bio cubes are a waste of time unless youre a bored LFS employee doing it in the store.... youre gonna run out of room quick and youre already gonna be heavy on bioload from four fish in a thirty g tank, which is really gonna be more like 20, also cause i think you should get more LR than that... plus ive heard the biocube skimmers dont work for crap... another thing is that with less water volume youre gonna have less room for error, swings in water parameters happen much faster in that small of a tank, even if the heater went out, the tank would drop in temp very quickly, as opossed to my 160, i have been without power of a few day period after a storm and my tank only dropped about two degrees a day....

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks For your opinion....

Yea I am backing away from 4 fish and thinking now 2 or 3 max in this setup...

Others seem to have had success with the Nanao cube... But I agree I wish I had room and money for someting 100 Gal or bigger...

Thanks!

· 13 years old and learning
336 Posts
i think u could have 4 fish, i have 3 fish in my 14 gallon biocube and everything is working out great, i hav the 14, but i really wish i had gotten the 29 HQI. i would do it, nano-reefs are small and affordable, plus they give a really nice look to a room.

· Registered
818 Posts
well you could get a 30g tank, set it up with a 20g sump, by adding that much more water volume and having the ability to get a decent skimmer(the biocube one is an epic fail) you could actually have more then three fish, plus you could have some of that LR in the sump and give you more room for coals in the DT!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.