The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Awhile back I was trying to raise my PH. I was using a Kent Super Buffer, I tried a few times to raise it over the course of two weeks to no avail. After researching the heck out of it on the net I found out that it was because my house was closed up.

So protein skimmer inlet tube meets outside air and bang, 8.2. That lasted for about 2 days and then I have been at 8.0 for a month. I stopped trying to raise it after I realized that I was boosting my dk/H way to much.

Any ideas on what it could be now?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I do not have a calcium reactor, would excessive duration of lighting be a factor? I was running them for 12 hours a day for awhile.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
No that wouldn't do it. When the lights go off your pH should drop a little. Sorry I can't help more, nothing I ever did helped long term. I did the same as you running a line outside and it worked for a day or two just like you.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea I feel your pain, thanks for checking in on it though.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Yea I feel your pain, thanks for checking in on it though.
Jadinop would be the one to talk to :p he's full of info :thumbup:

Hey Jadinop was that you with the awesome corner tank? If so, is it still running?

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Hey Jadinop was that you with the awesome corner tank? If so, is it still running?
Not me, I've never had a corner tank. The curved glass gives me a headache. I can't look at corner or bowfront tank for long without my eyes crossing.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Not me, I've never had a corner tank. The curved glass gives me a headache. I can't look at corner or bowfront tank for long without my eyes crossing.
No no. Now that I'm thinking about it, I think it was viewable from both sides or something. It definitely wasn't a curved tank. Was meaning viewable as a corner. I could have sworn it was you...

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do not quite understand all the chemistry there in that article. I did the glass out side for 30 mintues test and thats how I found it it was elevated co2 the first time. Then i corrected that by adding a outside inlet port to the skimmer. Which worked for two days then fell back down to 8.0. Did the test again and this time it didn't work, meaning that it was no longer a elevated co2 issue.

Looking at the article, it would not be because I had low co2 because that would make it higher no lower then 8.4.

My dk/h was at 16 when i first bought the kit after reading that article the first time, i assume because i was using super buffer to try and raise it which seemed to be only raising my dk/h. Now it is at 10.9.

I do not have a test kit for mag yet, do you think that may be my issue?

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
My 60g cube is 3 sides viewable. Well, actually 4 but the center overflow blocks most of the view from the back.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My calcium is at 480

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
I do not quite understand all the chemistry there in that article.

Randy's articles are heavy on chemistry. The basic point is that your PH is not out of the ordinary and shouldn't be causing any problems. I'd get the Mag test kit and just work on keeping your calcium, alkalinity and magnesium levels good.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright I will do that, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I do not quite understand all the chemistry there in that article. I did the glass out side for 30 mintues test and thats how I found it it was elevated co2 the first time. Then i corrected that by adding a outside inlet port to the skimmer. Which worked for two days then fell back down to 8.0. Did the test again and this time it didn't work, meaning that it was no longer a elevated co2 issue.

Looking at the article, it would not be because I had low co2 because that would make it higher no lower then 8.4.

My dk/h was at 16 when i first bought the kit after reading that article the first time, i assume because i was using super buffer to try and raise it which seemed to be only raising my dk/h. Now it is at 10.9.

Mg test kit would definitely help identify whether or not it was par of it. The fact that your dkH was so high may allude to a problem with the trio that Jadinop was pointing towards.

My 60g cube is 3 sides viewable. Well, actually 4 but the center overflow blocks most of the view from the back.
Hmmmm, must be thinking of something else.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It was high I thought because I was adding super buffer trying to raise PH, in any event, that will be my next test kit, thanks for the help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts