The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 20" bristleworm got sucked up in a mag36 doing test runs on a return idea. I now have 5 REALLY REALLy fat bristleworms. Every one of them seems to be very much alive though.

:( I was kind of attached to him as he was, and that couldnt have been very pleasant for him.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Fascinating, regeneration, isnt it? Most worms have the ability to regenerate into a completyly new animal from the "Frags" of another worm.
BTW- you have very nice tanks, Fly, I saw the pics.

·
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
zxcv123 said:
Fascinating, regeneration, isnt it? Most worms have the ability to regenerate into a completyly new animal from the "Frags" of another worm.
BTW- you have very nice tanks, Fly, I saw the pics.
Thanks........yeah, i have heard that bristles can rejuvenate like that but i didnt think that EVERY fragment would live. I remember when i had a euclid worm causing havoc in a tank a while back that 3 times i plucked him in half (different halves)trying to get him and he wasnt gone until i trapped him in a rock and dissassembled the tank to get his entire body out.

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
I recently heard a story of a guy that woke up in his bed with a bristle worm wrapped around his neck, choking him almost into unconsciousness.

Apparently these guys can live out of water for hours.

You'll prolly be okay, though.

·
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ChrisPrusha said:
I recently heard a story of a guy that woke up in his bed with a bristle worm wrapped around his neck, choking him almost into unconsciousness.

Its funny you say that. When i was trying to get that other BAD worm out over the course of a month, i was POSSESSED. I was up at night regularly trying to stop this dang worm from eating my zoas and mushrooms....and crabs....and snails......it was awful. On more than one occasion i had dreams that my wife would tell me about (i talk in my sleep)that worms would be the topic of....not so much attacking me but the hunt for them.

LOL Yes, my name is Bill and i have a problem.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
ChrisPrusha said:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :funny: :funny: :rotflmao:
if you have a link to that story, Chris Prusha, Ill pay you for it. please try and find it!!! Im laughing but im sure I wouldnt be if i were in his shoes

·
Registered
524 Posts
First of all...EW

Secondly.....I'm going to have nightmares and will now be sleeping with a large knife to protect myself from killer bristle worms

·
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
seshapir said:
First of all...EW

Secondly.....I'm going to have nightmares and will now be sleeping with a large knife to protect myself from killer bristle worms
But remember...in the midst of these nightmares, that you better slice it longways or it will just multiply.....OR maybe that will just make TWO long skinny ones munchiung on you!!:funny: Flamethrower should take care of him though. Its a dream, you can sport whatever weapon you want.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Fly Guy said:
But remember...in the midst of these nightmares, that you better slice it longways or it will just multiply.....OR maybe that will just make TWO long skinny ones munchiung on you!!:funny: Flamethrower should take care of him though. Its a dream, you can sport whatever weapon you want.

LOL I think this will end badly. Like, with my husband having stab wounds from my night terrors about giant bristle worms. Maybe I wont sleep with a knife tonight

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Fly Guy said:
my name is Bill and i have a problem.
welcome to reefaholics bill, that bristle worm is nasty. glad its at your house.

·
Registered
39 Posts
a six inch bristle worm is a large bristleworm...

it would take a bristleworm of over 20 inches in my wildest dream to possibly do what has been said in this post.

spend your time figuring out how to kill majano anemones instead...

·
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
benbradford said:
a six inch bristle worm is a large bristleworm...

Actually its all relevant.........This 20" specimen was not even close to the largest one i have had, it was just the first large one i decided to keep as a pet instead of eliminate. The tank it came out of i could pull six inchers out of all day long. How does that happen??? Real easy, too many carnivorous fish fed well in a 46 gallon tank. Do i recommend doing that. Of course not, i did it out of ignorance, but i will say that the 2 lions and the eel that lived in this tank are still happily alive......in someone elses tank....and the LPS that used to be in this tank were the happiest LPS i have ever seen and showed the fastest growth i had ever seen even though my nitrates were a constant 50. My lps corals are now happy and healthy but i must say they were happier in the dirty system.
Youo think 20" bristleworms are absurd, gross and nasty??

How about a 4 INCH flatworm :D

Overstock and overfeed...............YUMMY

I also found out after i got rid of this guy that he likes to eat snails............NO wonder i had to replenish my snails every couple of months in this tank....LOL

ps-at the moment i now have 470 gallons total with only a few small docile fish that i dont even feed becasue they live off of pods.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
My "little" bristle worm is up to about 9-10" or so fly... Im catching up to you! lol.

·
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jflip2002 said:
My "little" bristle worm is up to about 9-10" or so fly... Im catching up to you! lol.
You already did....my biggest bristleworms are now 3", 3", 3", 2", and 2" respectively. I dont know what happened to the rest of him but im sure ive got you on girth still........:funny:
Of course i didnt intend on him living in my tank anyway....he was banished to the sump of a new tank.

·
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
cobray said:
:fish: How about a contest to see who has the largest bristle worm?
nah, i got a hunch youve already seen the competition and can beat it:p

Howabout a competition to see who has the fattest in comparison to length. haha

I WILL put that flatworm up blindly though..........

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
ack you mean my tiny little Spike will turn into that huge monster????
i got a teensy weensy one, about 2" but very skinny. i just spotted him last week, i think he came in on a large star polyp rock i bought. i couldnt help but name him :D
do they grow fast??? hes only in a 10g so theres not much room for a 10" bristle
i dont want him wrapping around my neck, i wont be able to breathe then
:p

1 - 20 of 25 Posts