The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something has started digging in the gravel bed in the past few weeks. A burrow has developed under one of the live rocks. I have never seen anything under that rock. It gradually grew in size until not it goes comepletley under the rock.

A number of other depressions have appeared in other spots as well but I've never seen anything digging. This morning my open brain was covered with gravel that obviously came from a new hole/depression right next to the brain.

I have no idea what could be digging. Seems to happen overnight. Fishes? I have a Yellow tang, a hawkfish, one blue and one striped damsel, lawnmower blennie. Fire Shrimp, small hermit crabs, assorted snails. I don't think any of them would do this but I don't know.

How do I clean off the brain? Just pull him out of the sand bed and tip him over? Is it okay to grab them and move them like that? I usually like to place corals and leave them be...(but I only have a few so I don't know how much they can be handled). How much movement do they tolerate?

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Just be sure and do it gently... be careful not to damage the fleshy polyp part of the brain.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
when i get sand on my tooth or finger leather which are on the sand bed i just blow them off with my turkey baster. it takes like 2 seconds

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hope its not a mantis. Never heard any snapping...although I admit I don't stay up real late at night. I'll have to keep an eye out for other signs. I'll search for mantis shrimps and see how others have dealt with these guys.

Thanks for the tips.

BTW...used a power head to blow off the coral...I'll see how he looks when I get home tonight.

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Could be a damsel. When females decide to go into 'nesting' mode they fan the sand to clear a spot to lay eggs. Clownfishes do this too. I suggest clearing the coral off as recommended then observe to see if the sand is redeposited on the coral and watch to see who is doing it.

Jenn

·
Registered
31 Posts
my guess is a pistol shrimp or maybe a mantis shrimp doing the digging.

G~
Yup, sounds like it. When its dark go searching with a red light, just dont be too scared of what you might find in the tank with the lights off LOL

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
either gently blow some water o it with a baster like others suggested, or just leave it like that, they can shake it off. my diamond goby gets sand on my open brain every day.

J.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts