The Reef Tank banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Saiyan
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. So I have decided to do another DIY project. I want to make up a Kalk reactor. I have seen some basic builds, and some more complex builds. I want to land somewhere in the middle :)

I plan on doing a build exactly like this one..

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/media/videos/KalkDripper.ogv

However I want do add a mixer into the build. I know that you don't want to mix up the slurry that builds on the bottom and I have seen peoples DIY builds that incorporate a pump inside the chamber but it seems like it would cause the slurry to get stirred up into the mix. I know with the aqua medic reactors they have a very slow turning mixer at the bottom. Has anyone done a DIY Kalk reactor that has a successful mixer? And if so what did you use?

·
Super Saiyan
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am thinking of using 4" white PVC pipe. I know the disadvantage is I can't see inside, but it seems like it would be the best looking and quality, and I can get it for free from work.

As well, they have screen fittings. I was thinking of having the canister 4" and inside having another 3" canister with a screen on the bottom to reduce mixing up the slurry. That way I can possibly use a very low GPH pump to circulate the water inside the middle 3" canister without mixing the slurry and causing problems.

this would be the strainer.

I understand this is kind of hard to understand without pictures so I'll end up building it and let you guys critique

1 - 2 of 2 Posts