The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided the old Brute can was just not efficient enough. I got my hands on a couple of ACE 40 gallon storage containers and here is what I came up with. Thoughts? I can make as much as 80 gallons of SW at a time and do a WC in as little as 5 minutes.

·
Shark...fish are friends
5,096 Posts
so explain your setup a bit, your RO/DI connects to a float valve on the RH tank, which then if the valves at the bottom are both open will fill the LH tank, or close the bottom LH valve and the mid valve that has the open connector (to tank line) and you could use the pump to fill the LH tank from the RH tank, then close the bottom LH valve and mix saltwater, but the RH would also serve as an emergency saltwater mixer if you needed 80 gallons of salt? Close the top valve and open whichever bottom valve you need for the salt and open the mid valve and pump it to the tank?

Looks pretty simple and seems like it would handle just about anything I can think of as far as how I might want it to function... what did the containers run you? This is one of the projects that I'm planning just haven't made it to the step of implementing yet...

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so explain your setup a bit, your RO/DI connects to a float valve on the RH tank, which then if the valves at the bottom are both open will fill the LH tank, or close the bottom LH valve and the mid valve that has the open connector (to tank line) and you could use the pump to fill the LH tank from the RH tank, then close the bottom LH valve and mix saltwater, but the RH would also serve as an emergency saltwater mixer if you needed 80 gallons of salt? Close the top valve and open whichever bottom valve you need for the salt and open the mid valve and pump it to the tank?

Looks pretty simple and seems like it would handle just about anything I can think of as far as how I might want it to function... what did the containers run you? This is one of the projects that I'm planning just haven't made it to the step of implementing yet...
Just how you saw it. The RH is to hold RO. The left takes RO by either Gravity (leaving valves open) or by pumping it in. I don't want to contaminate the RH, so I always pump. The LH tank is used for mixing. I installed a downpipe inside to help mix from bottom to top. If I need to mix salt in the RH tank I will need to attach a hose from the outlet and run it up through the top.

I picked both tanks up new for $140. The pump I had from my tank. $20 bucks or so for PVC fitting and another $50 for 100' of 1" tubing.

Now I can dump 20 gallons and replace in my tank in less than five minutes.

·
Shark...fish are friends
5,096 Posts
cool dude, what's the overall space that's taking up? about 4ftx4ftx2ft? I'm trying to fit mine in a closet and leave room in the closet to eventually add a sink and maybe more shelves for storage... looks like that might work pretty well for what I need... been looking for something I could stack but side x side would work too if it's not taking up the entire closet...

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used this site to fide all the drawings of the tanks I was looking at. My storage tanks are 18" x 43". My foot print was 43" L x 25" W x 43" H.

http://www.tank-depot.com/

I was lucky as I have a tank depot about 20 miles from my house. Shipping is a bear on these tanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts