The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have decided to get the tank that will work in my house. It is a 150 gal. 5x2x2. I take pics as I set it up this weekend.

Do I need a Kalk or Ca reactor. What is the best out there for this size tank? I want the Koralin??? but others say that a Geo is better.:confused:

Sorry to post this here and in th equip. sect. but I am just trying to have the most thoughts.

No I, at this time, do not want to DIY. I want reliability and stability.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
its ok you can post here I think. I dont use a CA reactor and unless you want to keep SPS then you dont really need one. MY coral comes from a supplier whose tank has MH's and a wet dry/ skimmer. No Ca reactor or fancey crap like that. If you want SPS then maybe, or you could just drip Kalkwasser....

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really want the best of all worlds. I know---idealistic.:banana:

I love SPS! My tank will be mixed. But, I think that more SPS is what I will have.

I just want the best balanced tank that I can. I understand the chem and the eng. I need/want reliabilty, quality and efficiency. Which means experiences.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey :dance: I am not a squid any more, I have evolved into a plankton.

Just so you know, this is my setup:

156 gal, new 7/1/2006, I am going to pick it up on Friday!!:dance: :dance: :dance:
Aqua-C EV180 Skimmer
Arctica chiller 1/3 Hp
PanWorld 200 PS recirc
175W MH -soon to be 2
2-55W Actinic blues -soon to be 4
LitermeterIII for top off

soon to be Streams for wave action.

I need to transfer my current corals, I hope that I don't kill them, to my new tank in 6 or so weeks.

Should I let the LFS hold them in transition or will a power head in any container keep them??

I'll let you be the suggestive influence. What else do I need???
Thanks.

PS: I'll post pics of progress.

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Okay, if you are going to keep SPS i would suggest 250watt MH. youll not get the penetratoion with the 175s. Also youll want to desiogn alot of flow into the tank as SPS love flow and respond well. Is the tank acrylic or glass? either way a Closed Loop would be the best way to add flow. before you spend any more money i would also suggest you do research here on SPS and look at SPS specific tanks and how they are designed. It will save you alot of money and frustration. Congrats on the evolution!

Robert

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
i would use the power head and a container, and if your upgrading your lights. (if you have pc's or something and going up to the MH) you can slowly acclimate all the corals to the new light at the same time. keep the light high at first and slowly lower it closer to the container.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Maybe I missed something but you say your transferring your corals. Okay so what are they in now? Why not leave them in the tank they are in and let the new tank cycle properly?

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
I got my calcium reactor from www.myreefcreations.com and I love it, I will be getting their kalkreactor soon also. Having an sps dominant tank, I really hated having to dose everyday. as of right now all I do is drip kalk, and let the reactor do its thing.

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
Agreed with Robert. 250wt is the best way to go.

Also agree with mtfatwork on the MRC calcium reactor. Andy over at MRC makes EXCELLENT equipment. And all of them are upgradable. meaning if you get a bigger tank, you can still use the equip, and for an extra $100 or so, upgrade it to handle the larger tank. Very good stuff!!! http://myreefcreations.com

Also curious about what tank they're in now. I'd just leave them in that if you can. If you're tearing that tank down to make room for the new one, then I'd definitely consider giving them to someone to babysit. Fish might do fine in a bucket with movement. But corals won't last long in that environment (a few days maybe).

Congrats on the new tank. Keep the questions coming. And looking forward to pics!!!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, I could go with a new one at 250W and keep the 175W on half of the tank. That way it won't go to waste.

I have to move the existing tank to make room for the new tank. That is why I asked where I could keep the corals.
I could just move the old tank out of the way but the skimmer and UV will have to come off and the lights. Unless I get new lights right away.
I could leave the pump as it is too small for the new system. I am sure that it will be a pain moving it the 5 or 6 feet need to get the new tank in. I think that it can be done though. I just do not relish the thought.

What is the difference between a CA reactor and a kalk reactor? Don't they both use the same substrate and CO2?

·
Registered
101 Posts
not sure how big your current tank is, but I moved ours across the room with those furniture sliders that you put under the four corners of a piece of furniture. It worked well! without my hubbys help! :dance:
HTH

edit: it was a 29 g

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Fsuraven said:
not sure how big your current tank is, but I moved ours across the room with those furniture sliders that you put under the four corners of a piece of furniture. It worked well! without my hubbys help! :dance:
HTH

edit: it was a 29 g
I'll guess that it wasn't carpet. This one is 37 gal on carpet and I think that I will be able to kitty walk it out of the way. But If I put the lights on the new tank while cycling then this tank will not have any lights. I think that this would be bad?

·
Registered
101 Posts
It was on berber carpet. I dont think you need to run lights for cycling, someone else opinion will help with that to be sure.:doh:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here is another question. I will be getting new live rock when I set up this tank but my RO/DI will only put out about 3 gal/hr and I hope that the pump doesn't fail. It will take approximately 36-48 hrs to fill. If I set the live rock in the config that I like some of it will not be covered in water for quit some time. Is this advisable? Or should I just set it on the bottom so that it will become submerged sooner?

Should I switch my lights over to this tank while it is cycling? Should I put a pump into the tank while it is filling for movement or can I wait until it is full and I have everything plumbed?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Pauli said:
Hi all,

I have decided to get the tank that will work in my house. It is a 150 gal. 5x2x2. I take pics as I set it up this weekend.
CONGRATS!!!!! Thats going to be a great setup! I/we are looking forward to pictures!!!!!

Pauli said:
Do I need a Kalk or Ca reactor. What is the best out there for this size tank? I want the Koralin??? but others say that a Geo is better.:confused:

Sorry to post this here and in th equip. sect. but I am just trying to have the most thoughts.
To be honest .. having a Calcium reactor is one of the last things that you will need ... you should wait untill your tank has a high demand for Calcium and Alk ... I am going to insert a post from a VERY trusted person in our (not so) little reef club ......

Mark Peterson WMAS Message Board said:
"The use of a Calcium Reactor is a highly technical thing. It is not for the novice hobbyist and needed for only a few aquariums. In other words most aquariums do fine without it.

There are many things to become acquainted with in this hobby, before tackling a Ca Reactor. The needs of coral dictate when to add a Ca reactor. Prior to that a hobbyist should learn what is going on in the tank and monitor the use of Alk and Ca, replenishing a lightly loaded reef aquarium with the proper use of chemical additives before installing a Carbonate Reactor. (learn why it should properly be called by that name
)

One of the best pieces of advice that anyone that has been in the hobby for over a year will tell you is to "Be patient and take it slow." Set up a small tank and learn how to keep these animals before rushing into the higher level technical aspects. "
however if you are like me .. than you just have to have it NOW! .. LOL .. nothing wrong with that ... I personally use the Knop C reactor .. and LOVE IT! .. I have so much Coraline growing my tank is almost totally purple! ... I have base rock that was bone white 4 months ago and purple today ... Calcium reactors are the way to go!!! .. they are a little expensive to get into and started .. however they will save you money in the long run .. and when you get them dialed in there is nothing more than adding Koralith ever 2 or 3 months .... very low maintenance .. and reliably!

Pauli said:
No I, at this time, do not want to DIY. I want reliability and stability.

Thanks
While I say that DIY projects will save you a great amount of money .. I agree with your statement ... I too wanted reliability and stability ... I built a Calcium reactor chamber .. and yes it worked great .. but was too large and cumbersome ... I wanted a smaller foot print than my DIY ca reactor .. and bought the Knop ....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts