The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I don't post much outside our club forum, I thought you all might enjoy another build thread. My current tank is a 75 all glass sps BB dominant tank. The objective of the new tank is to have allmost all pumps and plumbing hidden from the naked eye and be viewable on all three sides. Overflow will be mounted externally and tunzes will be mounted externally. The tank and sump are currently being built by reefmania.net. Not only does Bob do great work he also makes a pretty darn good neighbor.:D Tank is going to a be a 120 48x24x24 with a tile bar around it to pull up a stool and get lost. Anyways lets start off with where it is going to go.

And with the old portion of the bar removed.

Here is the stand the bottom is longer than the top for a reason which you will see later.

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I ran two deidcated 20amp circuits for the tank only. Both are GFCI protected. The other outlet is switched for a future light inside the stand.

Some minor drywall repairs were needed and painting after the demolition.

Now the stand is in place and time to start on the bar portion.

There will be a 12" bar all the way around it.

Here it is with the cement board on it.

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pumps are going to be the two 6100 Tunzes on the multicontroller, a sequence dart for the closer loop, PS150 pan world for the returns split into two eductors, and a px50 pan world to feed the skimmer.

Everything is going to be plumbed in sch80 pvc.
a few valves.

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The bar is going to have slate all the way around it, here is a pic that gives you a Idea of what it will look like.

Closed loop in going to be setup with live rock racks. This is a idea that came from our local club and thought it will work well. The sawed off T in the middle is the intake. There will be two of these in the tank.

The gutterguard acts as a screen for the intakes to keep the large stuff out of the pumps.

Here is one with the loclines installed and screen in place. This should keep most everything hidden and keep the rocks off the BB

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
VWD said:
The 12 inch bar idea is cool and the idea, Keep the pictures coming
I need a place to get lost:beer:

Here is kind of what the external overflow will look like it will be located on the wall side of the tank. No bulky box inside the tank, no bulky tunzes inside the tank. Just reef in the tank:) The holes are the outputs for the tunzes and the slots are the intakes for them.

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The box's for the tunzes should act like a wavebox when the multi controller is set to pulse also. Depending on the final layout with the closed loop plumbing I should get well over 90x turniver inside the tank when the eductors are factored in.:nuts:

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is all the pics right now. (Now Tim can't give me crap about not posting pics.:funny: ) I will be using the same skimmer from the old tank and the same CA reactor. Both are made by reefmania along with the acrylic canopy. Lighting is going to be 250w xm 10k's in luminarcs both run off ice cap ballast and with 440w of vho actinic run off a icecap 600. Still going to run the 25w UV and the ozone. The good old aquacontroller will keep tabs on the tank and the litermeter III will control topoff and kalk input.

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got most of the slate cut and set last night. Hope to get it sealed tonight and gouted tommorrow morning. The sump should be done sometime this week it sounds so I can get some of the plumbing done.

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got the rest of the tile done today and sealed and grouted. I am going to have to touch up some spots in the grout tommorrow though then another two coats of sealant at the end of the week and that fiasco is done. Did I ever mention how much I love grouting, especially slate:rolleyes:

·
11,345 Posts
Looking sweet man.....

I hear ya on the tile
i never want to lay another tile in my life.......i tiled my kitchen, hearth all the trim around the floors and windows and both bathrooms, one of them 360 degrees a couple of years ago.....SUPER happy with the results but it SUCKED

1 - 20 of 83 Posts