The Reef Tank banner

My New Tank Build

4K views 75 replies 10 participants last post by  yuyiboy 
#1 ·
Hey guys here is a pic of my new 45 Gal. Tall. :banana:

I'm going to be setting it up soon. Thanks to my Reefer friend for letting me have it for a great price. You Rock!!! :dance:

This new Budget build might get off the ground after all.

I just have one question.
As u can see from the pic it has only ONE hole drilled at the top left of tank.

I wanted suggestions as to how to hook up an overflow to just this one hole without drilling? I wanted a corner overflow but those usually have bottom holes.

Corner Overflow?? Cali? Regular box shaped? Or just NO overflow and just an intake? It's sooo confusing. :confused:

You guys may or may not know this is the reset for my BLEACH accident 1st attempt.
After months of looking at a mess. Here I go again!! :doh: :arg:
I have never had a tank with a sump and will be doing this one with one.

Will post more as work moves along.

Thanks for any info you can give.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
There are a number of options having the one hole. The easiest would be a bulkhead connecred to a small section of PCV and a 90 PVC bend pointing upward and another small section of pipe as a riser to the water level you want to keep, wind a section of mesh up and put it into the pipe to keep livestock out of the drain. The outside I would run a durso type downpipe to the sump to minimise noise. The ultimate would be a coast to coast (side to side) shallow overflow box made of black acrylic with strainers cut into the top. The return can be a single or split over the side made of PVC also. Need to know the hole size to know how much will be able to drain/size of return pump..... Good luck

#4 ·
There are a number of options having the one hole. The easiest would be a bulkhead connecred to a small section of PCV and a 90 PVC bend pointing upward and another small section of pipe as a riser to the water level you want to keep, wind a section of mesh up and put it into the pipe to keep livestock out of the drain. The outside I would run a durso type downpipe to the sump to minimise noise. The ultimate would be a coast to coast (side to side) shallow overflow box made of black acrylic with strainers cut into the top. The return can be a single or split over the side made of PVC also. Need to know the hole size to know how much will be able to drain/size of return pump..... Good luck
I agree with this!

#11 ·
The original intent of the notches was to allow tanks that weren't level to still use the entire overflow box. Especially with a coast-to-coast overflow. Most built in overflow boxes come with the notches but notchless is better - you just have to make sure the tank is level.

#16 ·
I can imagine a scenario where the overflow could be too long but in your case its almost impossible if you keep decent flow through the sump. As for the outside box, you would have an internal box that would flow through the hole in the back of the tank, into a duplicate box on the outside of the tank, and then into the sump instead of it just draining out of the bulkhead and to the sump.

#17 ·
As for the outside box, you would have an internal box that would flow through the hole in the back of the tank, into a duplicate box on the outside of the tank, and then into the sump instead of it just draining out of the bulkhead and to the sump.
Why would I do that?? I wouldn't want all that "stuff" on the back.
That's why I got a drilled tank :confused:

#19 ·
here's a thread on the Calfo overflow.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=908555&highlight=calfo

I would go the entire length of the back glass personally.
That is a great link tony. I wonder why the first one didn't just go all the way across like the second guy :confused: seems like less work.

I think I'm going to go with the calfo. across the whole back:) now all I need is to find out how deep :read: I guess since it's so long and has such a big area it can be shallow.

will have to guess on GPH.

Thanks tony

#24 ·
Lowes

I just found all the connectors I need At Lowes'!!!
I was just ready to buy them online. They are about 1/4 of the price.
Ball valves are the best price. under $6 for a 1" wow, I didn't think they would carry anything except the PVC pipe.
I'll be making a stop there after I get my layout figured out!!
:blob:

#26 ·
Coast to Coast Build

Ok, So ...... I decided on a Coast to Coast Overflow!! :banana:
Then I realized that I have never cut glass or attempted anything this big since I have been into fish .... Less that 2 years. Still newbie in my book.

But I have to learn, so anyway...... I went to Lowes and got a 36x12 piece of glass for about $7 and got it home and cut it in half first and realized 6x6 would hold more water that my tank!! :nuts: :funny:
So I adjusted it, broke some, cut myself ETC ETC ETC.
So here is my first piece attached to the tank, the next one is going on today.
Silicone looks a little rough (a lot) and is and it's not a perfect fit but those are things I can fix, and I figured that all my "sins" will be covered by Coraline later anyway :D
So Please don't laugh and make me cry :bawling: :)
Let me know what you think or If I should just give up fish :)

Thanks for all your help so far,
and thank you for your Birthday wishes :thumbup:

Attachments

#31 ·
The Pump

Well I REALLY needed a pump so I got this regular fountain pump from Ebay.
It's a "Diamond" pump and it pumps about 900GPH
I hope it works, I just couldn't pass up the price and at the time there was not much on Ebay that I could afford. Remember... It's a "BUDGET BUILD"
If it doesn't work I will Have to upgrade it but you never know.:freak:
Has anybody used one of these pumps? (pic Below) :read:

Thanks again guys for your advise in this adventure. :D

Attachments

#33 ·
overflow looks good...awesome job!

I'd be concerned with that fountain pump, it may be fine with freshwater, but may corrode in SW... I'm also leery of anything that comes off eBay other than the refractometers and RODI's. pumps are not a place to skimp... doing so could cause you alot of money in the end with dead fish and coral.. I'd look around on RC and try to find another good pump for a decent price. You can find used Eheims on there all the time for a good price.

#35 ·
I hear ya Tony. I just needed something cheap to run the system for now because I didn't have the money. But if I have to buy another one down the line (I want to anyway) I would have only lost $11 Yes, that how much it was ;)

I can also just post it on Ebay again.
Thanks for saying the overflow looks nice but compared to what I've seen it's a little rough. I'm just hoping that all will be covered down the line with coraline.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.