The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys here is a pic of my new 45 Gal. Tall. :banana:

I'm going to be setting it up soon. Thanks to my Reefer friend for letting me have it for a great price. You Rock!!! :dance:

This new Budget build might get off the ground after all.

I just have one question.
As u can see from the pic it has only ONE hole drilled at the top left of tank.

I wanted suggestions as to how to hook up an overflow to just this one hole without drilling? I wanted a corner overflow but those usually have bottom holes.

Corner Overflow?? Cali? Regular box shaped? Or just NO overflow and just an intake? It's sooo confusing. :confused:

You guys may or may not know this is the reset for my BLEACH accident 1st attempt.
After months of looking at a mess. Here I go again!! :doh: :arg:
I have never had a tank with a sump and will be doing this one with one.

Will post more as work moves along.

Thanks for any info you can give.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
There are a number of options having the one hole. The easiest would be a bulkhead connecred to a small section of PCV and a 90 PVC bend pointing upward and another small section of pipe as a riser to the water level you want to keep, wind a section of mesh up and put it into the pipe to keep livestock out of the drain. The outside I would run a durso type downpipe to the sump to minimise noise. The ultimate would be a coast to coast (side to side) shallow overflow box made of black acrylic with strainers cut into the top. The return can be a single or split over the side made of PVC also. Need to know the hole size to know how much will be able to drain/size of return pump..... Good luck

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
There are a number of options having the one hole. The easiest would be a bulkhead connecred to a small section of PCV and a 90 PVC bend pointing upward and another small section of pipe as a riser to the water level you want to keep, wind a section of mesh up and put it into the pipe to keep livestock out of the drain. The outside I would run a durso type downpipe to the sump to minimise noise. The ultimate would be a coast to coast (side to side) shallow overflow box made of black acrylic with strainers cut into the top. The return can be a single or split over the side made of PVC also. Need to know the hole size to know how much will be able to drain/size of return pump..... Good luck
I agree with this!

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
The ultimate would be a coast to coast (side to side) shallow overflow box made of black acrylic with strainers cut into the top.
I agree totally, with one minor exception of... no teeth IMO

This is also called a Calfo style overflow...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So with the piece of pipe method, the only thing I won't be doing is surface skimming right? that's a simple idea :). I might just do that first.
As for the Cali-overflow I don't think I would do teeth, I think the "sheet" of water would keep it quieter. Don't you agree??
I would have to calculate a bit to get the right overflow rate with the cali.
The tank is 36 wide so I don't know what length and depth to go with.:read:
Have any of you guys done a cali on a tank this size?

Thanks Seamore :thumbup:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree totally, with one minor exception of... no teeth IMO

This is also called a Calfo style overflow...
That's what I was thinking is is quieter that way?
See I have never seen a cali. overflow in person and it's hard to tell sound from videos. :confused:

Thanks tony

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
it's not that its quieter, it that it surface skims better. the quietness of you setup will be determined by how your plumbing is setup.

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
The original intent of the notches was to allow tanks that weren't level to still use the entire overflow box. Especially with a coast-to-coast overflow. Most built in overflow boxes come with the notches but notchless is better - you just have to make sure the tank is level.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Calfo coast to coast! I would build the overflow inside and on the other side of the bulkhead build a box with a HGB in order to keep things quiet. All you need is some glass pieces and silicone.
What do you mean a box on the other side? :confused: HGB? :confused:I only want to use the one hole on it. :confused:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The original intent of the notches was to allow tanks that weren't level to still use the entire overflow box. Especially with a coast-to-coast overflow. Most built in overflow boxes come with the notches but notchless is better - you just have to make sure the tank is level.
I just have to keep really fat fish!! :funny:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Could I do a Calfo the WHOLE length with just 2 pieces of glass at a 90*?
Or is that TOO long?? :confused:

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
I can imagine a scenario where the overflow could be too long but in your case its almost impossible if you keep decent flow through the sump. As for the outside box, you would have an internal box that would flow through the hole in the back of the tank, into a duplicate box on the outside of the tank, and then into the sump instead of it just draining out of the bulkhead and to the sump.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As for the outside box, you would have an internal box that would flow through the hole in the back of the tank, into a duplicate box on the outside of the tank, and then into the sump instead of it just draining out of the bulkhead and to the sump.
Why would I do that?? I wouldn't want all that "stuff" on the back.
That's why I got a drilled tank :confused:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
here's a thread on the Calfo overflow.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=908555&highlight=calfo

I would go the entire length of the back glass personally.
That is a great link tony. I wonder why the first one didn't just go all the way across like the second guy :confused: seems like less work.

I think I'm going to go with the calfo. across the whole back:) now all I need is to find out how deep :read: I guess since it's so long and has such a big area it can be shallow.

will have to guess on GPH.

Thanks tony

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
No problem. Yes, it can be fairly shallow (a few inches, say 2.5-3") as it is so long. I think my next tank will have this type of setup.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts