The Reef Tank banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i just got a new T5 4 bulb 36" Solar extreme fixture the other day, and it keeps tripping my breaker. it is plugged into a power strip with all the other equipment on the same power strip. its just some joe smoe power strip. would a better quility strip fix the problem? i cant plug it in directly to the wall i had to drill a hole in the wall to thread the power strip threw to plug it in. would plugging directly to wall make a difference? or does anyone have any other ideas?

·
little fishy girl
4,061 Posts
what all do you have on that one plug ? i have my t5 light, powerhead, heater,protein skimmer, tv and dish box all plugged into one plug. but i did go to lowes and get a portable gfi plug it was about 15 bucks but it works good and and i have a surge protector powerstrip plug in to it . so try a better powerstrip and see if that helps

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have light 2 powerheads protein skimmer heater on that plug. different plug but same breaker tv xbox directv box blu ray modem wireless router. so there is alot that is constantly running. i will try plugging it in by itself. do u think the light is faulty?

·
Registered
227 Posts
If you have room in the panel run a dedicated circuit for the tank,
you can get everything at home depot.
some house wiring is old, my tank did the sane thing and i ran a new circuit.
"Also make sure the breaker is off befor you connect in the breaker panel" !

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i dont have room for a new corcuit. do u think a surge protector instead of a power strip would do it?

·
Registered
227 Posts
15A to 20A

i dont have room for a new corcuit. do u think a surge protector instead of a power strip would do it?
I don't think so, the tank runs constant and may run fine alone but as soon as you power up the tv and other equipment it will draw more than the breaker can handle. maybe you can get a meter, power everythimg on and see what the draw is, if its less than 20A you could replace the 15A breaker with 20A breaker run a new wire that can handle 20A, and install a 20A outlet, you should be able to run everything.
(If there are no more blanks on the panel cover

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i already have a 20A circuit on the breaker. the light will just turn off at random times. i can turn it on and it has been on for 20 mins and turned off and other times it has been on for hours and turned off. i will try putting in a stronger outlet and a better quility power strip and go from there. any other ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
227 Posts
i already have a 20A circuit on the breaker. the light will just turn off at random times. i can turn it on and it has been on for 20 mins and turned off and other times it has been on for hours and turned off. i will try putting in a stronger outlet and a better quility power strip and go from there. any other ideas would be appreciated.
Is it only the light turning off or the breaker tripping?

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
sounds to me either the breaker is bad or there is something wrong with the light. you should be able to run all of the equipment you have on the tank now on that one breaker.

just saw you have a tv on there as well, what kind and how big? even with this i still don't think it's enough to trip the breaker.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the light has 6 LEDs on it and ive kept those on the entire time, so that leads me to think when the 4 T5s r on they r pulling to much power and causing the trip. i doubt the breaker is bad the house was rewired about a year and a half. it does have alot on it tho. the tv is a 52" Insignia. running up to home depot to get a better power trip and outlet.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sorry been busy......everything i tried didnt work. i have to have an electrician come over and reroute the wiring for that specific plug to a different breaker. i have an extention cord running to a different plug and it has not tripped once.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Solar Extreme 48" aquarium light that has given me problems as well. The first three units I purchased failed right out of the box and I had to return them to my LFS. When I turned them on, the lights would flash and then the GFCI plug would instantly kick in and shut it down. Upon the third return to the store, I insisted they test the replacement before I left. After the next 4 units displayed the same problem, they finally found one that did not trip the GFCI plug included with the unit. After about 6 months, my current unit began doing the same thing, which led me to Google the problem. Although I found very little information on my issue, I did find a couple of mentions regarding faulty GFCI plugs on Solar Extreme units. Since I had lost my receipt, I figured I was on my own, so I cut off the GFCI plug attached to the unit and replaced it with one from Sears Hardware. No problems since I did this. You had mentioned that your home's circuit breaker keeps tripping and not the one included with your light fixture, so I don't know if my situation is relevent to yours but it makes me wonder if a faulty GFCI plug on your fixture would cause your home breaker to trip. It may be worth considering. If it does turn out to be a faulty Solar Extreme GFCI, your options would be to return it for replacement, do what I did or replace the units GFCI with the same one, which I saw on Amazon for about $60 USD (pretty steep). I have a sneaking suspicion that your problem lies with the Solar Extreme unit itself and not your home wiring. Just throwing it out there. Good luck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts