The Reef Tank banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Premium Member
7,439 Posts
WOW!!!!!!:eek: I was all prepared to see a bleached white, and half dead anemone. That is a beautiful and healthy looking crispa. Did you get that from a hobbyist that has had it for some time, or did you pick that up as a new import from the LFS? I don't know that I have ever seen one look that good in a LFS as a newly imported anemone.

· Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I picked it up from a real nice LFS around town, i don't know how long they had it but when i saw it first i thought it was 2 untill he told me it was one large one.

Very nice price also i might add.
thanks

any tips

· Premium Member
7,439 Posts
I'll give you some tips if you remember to ask the LFS if that anemone came in from a customer, or a new import. :rotflmao: I'm just kiddin. I bet someone returned it to the LFS for some reason. I can't see one of these anemones making it to the states in such good condition.

Your anemones name is Heteractis crispa. There's no such thing as a "sebae" anemone. It is typically a sand dwelling species, so if it is not attached, I would dig a hole beside a rock, and place the anemones foot in it. The anemone should attach to the rock or glass bottom, and begin sliding its foot under the rock. I would back fill the hole leaving nothing but the polyp exposed. If the anemone is attached, don't try to move it. Most people will say feed it once a week or something like that. IMHO, its better to feed small amounts every day when you feed the fish. Give it moderate flow and good quality lighting. If you take care of that anemone, it should out live you.

· Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You don't know how happy i am to hear this.
Thanks , I hope it won't out grow my 55G tho.

I forgot to add that this anemone was in a tank with a couple others and a anemone crab , and it was attached to the one i bought,(i seen him after i got home) I want to return him to the LFS but cant find a why to remove with out damage to anemone. I read that when the 2 clowns i have take like and start to host they will over power the crab and he will flee.

But will this crab prevent them from hosting.
And i Read that the crab will die without another anemone, and i didn't buy the anemone crab and don't want it to die.

Thanks

· Registered
392 Posts
]
\+thts a very nice nem! and i had a clarkii clown and a porcelain anemone crab share a condy, but the clown did at 1 point rip 1 of the crabs claws off, but after it grew back they were fine together. when the anemone died it took a liking to my frogspawn until i picked up a rock flower nem. then sadly when i downgraded from my 10 gal to my 8 gal biocube, i thought the crab was on the rock flower anemones rock but it wasnt. it was on a piecww of liverock tht i didnt use and it dried out and died =(
i felt terrible!
so wat im trying to say is, ur crab prob wont die if the clowns drive it away. it may take to maybe an LPW coral if u have 1. or if u can maybe get a small rock flower and see wat happens with tht.

· Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This morning i looked at the nem It doubled in size tentacles and all, I can now see the mouth also.

Can you guys help me out , If i upload weekly pictures , can you let me know if its doing good/ or if i should remove it and return.

Like EC said this looks like a seasoned nem and i would hate to see it dye in a tank it already looks to big for.
Plus my clowns don't even like it.
Thanks all

· Premium Member
7,439 Posts
Yes. Post pic's and we'll try to help. Has it eaten yet, and what are you feeding?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.