The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would share my new nano. I would like to hear comments and suggestions. This tank was started on February 4th.

Size:
10 Gallon drilled with two 3/4" bulkheads
Lighting:
2x36w PC with two 50/50 bulbs
Pump Flow Rate:
Mag 3 return pump (3ft of head pressure) 275gph
MicroJet 60gph
Filtration:
5 gallon sump with LR, LS, and macro

The substrate is 30lbs of Fiji Pink AragAlive and 10lbs of Reef Sand Aragalive.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Inhabitants:
1 BW Ocellaris Clown
1 Turbo Snail
5 Blue Leg Hermits
3 Scarlet Leg Hermits
2 Bumble Bee Snails
4 Turbo Astrea Snails
Corals:
Fuzzy Mushroom (Discosoma)
Green Mushroom (Actinodiscus)
Anthelia (Anthelia)
Kenya Tree (Capnella)
Silver Pusling Xenia (Xenia elongata)
Green Star Polyps (Pachyclavularia)
Orange Starburst (Briareum)
Spaghetti Finger Leather (Sinularia flexibis)
Button Polyps (Protopalythoa)
Colt (Alcyonium)

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wasn't sure how much of a cycle I would have with a sump filled with sand and rubble from an established tank. My Ammonia topped off around 0.25 about 2 weeks ago, and has been at zero ever since. My nitrites never showed any measureable number. My nitrates remained steady at 5ppm for about 3 weeks, until the middle of this week they finally dropped to zero.

For 7 days before the addition of the fish, I used SeaChem's Stability to make certain of the establishment of the bio-filter.

Things look like they are working well. I dose about 5ml of PurpleUp each morning and about 5ml of SeaChem Reef+ each Saturday just after a 2g water change.

Let me know your comments and suggestions...

·
life is BeAuTiFuL! <3
New 16g BioCube Gen 3, April 2021... back at the habit!
445 Posts
so far so good! I'm jealous of your star polyps... they're one of my favorites and right now I just have one tiny frag. :)
What do you eventually want to do with the tank? -

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update:
My fuzzy mushroom was apparently unhappy and he detached and was floating. I pulled him out and put him in the refugium and bought a Sun Coral to put in his place.

XeniaGirl,

I think eventually I would like to have only LPS in the tank. As you can see I've moved a few things around and bought a small-tentacled plate, a closed brain, and the Sun Coral. I actually have a candy cane frag but was unsure of where I wanted it so it's sitting elsewhere right now. I started this tank for a local reef club build-off so we'll see what the competition does to see where I need to take this thing, but so far I am pleased.

Any suggestions?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts