The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Do you like fishsticks?
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys just got myself a brand new 15g tank. dimensions 24x12x12. What I have so far that I bout today.

15g Glass (Black Frame) Tank 24"Lx12"Wx12"H
1 450gph Hydor Koralia Nano from my 29g
1 Marineland Penguin 150 filter
1 100w Hydor Heater

What I still need, and suggestions for:

Lighting: I am unsure what I need for only a 12inch deep tank. I would like this to be a frag tank/reef. everything from softies to SPS if water quality allows. So will a 2 bulb 48w total T5HO fixture be enough for such a shallow tank to grow out SPS frags?

Also I am unsure about how I wanna start the cycle. How much live rock or sand do I need in a frag tank for proper biological filtration. Also the bioload is going to be small on this tank, a clean up crew and maybe a shrimp and 1 small fish. Maybe no fish at all depending on how hard it will be to control nutrients. Doing 20% water change everyweek will be no problem so hopefully it wont be an issue.

Any suggestions? Also I probably will be going with a 1" Live aragonite sandbed, for looks since it will be in our bedroom beside the bed. Noise is also and issue, so no loud pumps or filters.

Looking for any suggestions. Lighting is my only big thing right now I need to decide on. Also I would like to keep it under 150 bucks if not around 100 to please the wife.

Actually she still wont be pleased lol, I had to warn her she wasnt gonna like my new project one bit. I said "please don't give me that look when I tell you this." "uh, ok" she said. "Im gonna start a new 15g tank and put it in the bedroom....." I said with a smile. "No your not" she said with that look, the look that you can feel crawl over your skin and make the hair on the back of your neck stand up lol. So she's my biggest problem with the tank, shes not reef safe.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
If its possible tie it into your other tank then you wont need sand or rocks you could just use egg crate and with that you could move frags up higher if necessary.

·
Do you like fishsticks?
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thought about that but no way for it to work in my apartment, since my main 29 display is downstairs in my living room and this is going upstairs in the bedroom. Wish I had my own place then I could for sure do that and just route some plumbing.

Need suggestions for frag tank lighting though. Anyone have any fixture suggestions? also whats best for a frag tank to grow out corals fast and get good color? 12k? 20k? more actinic? just wondering, because im not sure what is ideal for a frag tank.

·
Just Cofused :>0
944 Posts

·
Do you like fishsticks?
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would love those lights however I think they are outta my budget range, 200 bucks is probably gonna be pushing it with the limit my wife has me on.

However Im looking for cheap metal halide on craigslist and if I find one I will probably put it in my 29g standard and then take the current sundial 4x T5HO on my 29 and take the 15g back to the LFS and get a 20 long instead so the light fits. If so those t5's should be plenty for anything I want in the tank. However, things dont always workout as planned so that might not happen.

Ill see about saving up a bit more but, thats not so much the problem. The problem has blonde hair and a loud voice lol.

·
944 Posts
I would love those lights however I think they are outta my budget range, 200 bucks is probably gonna be pushing it with the limit my wife has me on.

However Im looking for cheap metal halide on craigslist and if I find one I will probably put it in my 29g standard and then take the current sundial 4x T5HO on my 29 and take the 15g back to the LFS and get a 20 long instead so the light fits. If so those t5's should be plenty for anything I want in the tank. However, things dont always workout as planned so that might not happen.

Ill see about saving up a bit more but, thats not so much the problem. The problem has blonde hair and a loud voice lol.
Did you look at these?http://reefbuilders.com/2010/08/20/boostled-offering-discount-generation-par30-led-reef-lamps/ The prices are easley with-in your 200.00 budget.
I think two of them would do it.

·
944 Posts
I would just google boostled to find them. Also I belive 2 would be plenty enough.
Check out this u tube vid of a tank that is larger then yours. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMebJxfQg6g using only 2 lamps.
There are the par30 and par38 lamps, look into both to see which is best for your tank size. I really like that you can use a regular house hold
light socket for them. Good Luck.
David

1 - 8 of 8 Posts