The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I havent been a member of this forum for that long but I have been planning on a barebottom tank ever since the starboard reef was born.

After having my glass sit in my buddies garage for alost 2 weeks we finally got to start building the tank. I thought I would post some pics to share.

Unpacking the glass.

Stuff for putting it all together.

Bottom with 1/4" dowls underneath.

Cleaning the edges.

Three sides in place.

Ready to silicone the insides seams

Laying the bead of silicone.

Secret silicone smoothing weapon

I'll be cleaning up the silicone tonight and should have some more pics of the tank. I am stillwaiting for my overflow glass to get delivered.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sweet cant wait to see it done :D

Used black silicone? Look nice.

Did you silicone between the glass panels, because that is the most important thing to add strength. Where the glass toches glass. The silicone that you run your finger along does nothing for strength , except perhaps prevent organisms from burrowing too far.

Edit, actually I take that back ,looks like you did. :)

·
c.a.g. owner and operator
2,311 Posts
looking good . how many gallons is it , cause in the 5th pic it looks huge with you in the background . keep us up dated !

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
wow, that's really gonna be a great tank! Looks very nice. Can I ask what the hole in the center is for?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lots of questions I will try to answer all of them. The tank is rimless and almost braceless. there will be a calfo style overflow accross the entire back which will be the only "brace"

The tank measurement are 24 x 24 x 20 it's 3/8 inch glass. the sides and front are low iron glass I ordered from a guy on Nano reef.com name Nano Paul. it was 250.00 shipped from NC to FL Paul si top notch guy to deal with.

The hole that looks like is in the bottom is actually in the table not the glass.

I am just waiting for my overflow to get here so I can silicone it in and drill the back of the tank. I would have preferred to drill the back before I put it together but I didn't want to drill untill the overflow was in and a hole in the wrong spot would suck.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very nice! I'll follow the progress...

Leonardo
Leo, Your tank aquascape has inspired me to use alot less rock than I had originally planned. I have about 15 - 20 lbs of rock semi cooking waiting to go in the tank.

My Overflow glass came in on Wed. I havent had a chance to go drill the tank and silicone in the overflow yet. I had wanted to on wed night but ended up working my second job for extra tank money!

My GF picked up my acrylic pieces for my sump and didn't check the measurements I gave her, two of the sides are cut 1 inch too big. so I have to take it back in for them to re cut it.

With a little luck I'll be leak testing this bad boy by middle of next week. and starting on the plumbing next Sunday.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
More Progress!

Tonight we drilled the tank.

And then began to silicone in the Calfo style overflow

I'll be finishing up the overflow tomorrow. We plan on starting the leak test on Thursday evening.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts