The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a good deal on a well established reef tank.
it's a custom 55g Flat Back Hex truvu.

has a red Serpent Sea Star, 1 Banded Coral Shrimp, and a Blue Velvet Damselfish.

I will be buying more fish tomorrow. most likely some clown's and a cupple more damsel's.

need to get a couple more rocks for this.

will get pic's of fish when I can. what are the green mushroom looking things, and what are the green pods (might not look too green in pics, lady I bought it from called them green pearls.)

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
the lady you got it from doesn't know anything. those green pearls are very bad bubble algae. i believe you can try removing them by hand but don't pop them or they will grow all over your tank. the mushrooms are mushroom corals. they are easy to take care of and grow well. live rock, fish, anything you buy needs to be quarantined for 2 months, even if you bought it as cured. they should be quarantined and added to the tank one at a time. you have to go very slow in this hobby or you will end up nuking your tank. damsels are an aggressive, fast, problematic fish. the blue or green chromis is a little better behaved.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Welcome to TRT, I would encourage you to hold off on buying fish or rock any time soon. The rock you have is covered in bubble and hair algae. It would be best to address this first. The "lady" may have not been keeping up with the maint. of the tank. The rock is probably loaded with phosphates. If you want help post as much info as possible about your lights, pump(s), filter(s), history of the tank (from "the Lady" and what you would like to eventually have in the tank. This is the time to start planning and there are many nice, smart people who can help you get where you want to go and avoid problems they encountered along the way. Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yikes, well let start with what I know for now.

she said she had the tank for 10 years. it has a built in filtration, what looks to be a CPR
BAK-PAK™2 skimmer(theres no bubbles, but there is water flow...think there's something wrong? I do), a powerhead with an attached filter that says "powerhead 4c2" on it, looks like it does an ok job, I think it needs a small powerhead for the other side though.

other than that she didn't say anything else that I can remember at the moment.(she didn't even know the star fish was a
Serpent Sea Star:doh:)

well I took most of the bubble algae out of the tank as I was moving it, and besides that small amount there is maybe 3 or 4 bubbles left.

how do I get rid of the
hair algae? the hair algae isn't covering all the rock, I'd say about 40% max.

the
swing-arm hydrometer I got with the stuff said 1.024 gravity 32 ppt which seem about right for the damsel.. I will have to brake out the test kit later and see where everything else is at.

as for lighting, it has standard lighting for now, but I have the stiff to switch over to better 4 pin higher lighting that came with it (just need to buy the bulbs...not sure what I need yet.)

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,670 Posts
yikes, well let start with what I know for now.

she said she had the tank for 10 years. it has a built in filtration, what looks to be a CPR BAK-PAK™2 skimmer(theres no bubbles, but there is water flow...think there's something wrong? I do), a powerhead with an attached filter that says "powerhead 4c2" on it, looks like it does an ok job, I think it needs a small powerhead for the other side though.

other than that she didn't say anything else that I can remember at the moment.(she didn't even know the star fish was a
Serpent Sea Star:doh:)

well I took most of the bubble algae out of the tank as I was moving it, and besides that small amount there is maybe 3 or 4 bubbles left.Get rid of all!

how do I get rid of the hair algae?Scrub in a bucket of sw and get rid of the phosphate. the hair algae isn't covering all the rock, I'd say about 40% max.

the swing-arm hydrometer I got with the stuff said 1.024 gravity 32 ppt which seem about right for the damsel.. I will have to brake out the test kit later and see where everything else is at.

as for lighting, it has standard lighting for now, but I have the stiff to switch over to better 4 pin higher lighting that came with it (just need to buy the bulbs...not sure what I need yet.)
What do you mean standred bulbs and you need to test all the time,

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
That's a sweet tank. The green mushroom looking things are...... well mushrooms. At least that's what we call them. They're actually corallimorphs. Some people view them as an evolutionary link between anemones and corals. In the right conditions they can split and form very nice looking colonies with many individuals packed together.

Some of the hair algae looks like it may be bryopsis. This can be a very hard algae to eradicate. Check with Fat Tony or Hop. (members here) One of them wrote an article on how to deal with this algae. I just forgot which one.:confused:

To be honest, if that were my tank, Id do a complete overhaul. Now's the best time to deal with algae and nutrient issues. Once you start stocking the tank with critters it gets much more difficult. Check into "cooking" your live rock, or giving them an acid bath. In your case, I'd probably give most of them an acid bath. If you start fresh now, it will save you all kinds of headaches down the road.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts