The Reef Tank banner
690 views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  reefermike1 
#1 ·
I just bought a Drilled 75 gallon tank, stand, 48" compact lighting, a 404 canister filter, about 50lbs of mixed live rock, 3in crushed coral, 6 fish and some test kits.
All for $300.00
I think it was a great deal tank looks great.
Question I was thinking of keeping as much of the water as I can and trying not to disturb the crushed coral, draining the tank down to the coral to move it, livestock and fish in coolers.
The tank is about 40 miles from me and I live in Minnesota with about 15+ inches of fresh snow.
Or should I just toss the water out and put the crushed coral in pails, the tank was set up for about 4 years.<O:p</O:p
I have right now a 55g tank that has about 2.5in of crushed coral with about 60lbs of live rock, so I was planning on moving most or all of my rock and things to the new tank.
<O:p</O:p
The new tank was drilled in the bottom of the tank on the left side about in the middle it looks like ¾in pipe, the pipe was cut off and capped about 3in up and covered up with things (not in use) I'd like to use it but I think it will be loud if I just put in a new pipe to the top of the water line, what can I use to make it quieter?

See less See more
#2 ·
You shouldnt even consider using that crushed coral again. Crushed coral is a poor substrate choice to begin with and 4 year old crushed coral is bound to be loaded with nasties and not soemthing you want to use.

You want a fresh start. Just get some new dry aragonite to start the tank up. You are fine salvaging all of the water up until the point that you disturb that substrate.

Im not sure if i follow waht you are thinkjing of doing with that 3/4" existing bulkhead.

#4 ·
I just bought a Drilled 75 gallon tank, stand, 48" compact lighting, a 404 canister filter, about 50lbs of mixed live rock, 3in crushed coral, 6 fish and some test kits.
All for $300.00
I think it was a great deal tank looks great.
Question I was thinking of keeping as much of the water as I can and trying not to disturb the crushed coral, draining the tank down to the coral to move it, livestock and fish in coolers.
The tank is about 40 miles from me and I live in Minnesota with about 15+ inches of fresh snow.
Or should I just toss the water out and put the crushed coral in pails, the tank was set up for about 4 years.<O:p</O:p
I have right now a 55g tank that has about 2.5in of crushed coral with about 60lbs of live rock, so I was planning on moving most or all of my rock and things to the new tank.

Ditto to what the other's said. I would use that crushed coral for under the tires if you get stuck:) .

BTW, is this a fish only tank?

The new tank was drilled in the bottom of the tank on the left side about in the middle it looks like ¾in pipe, the pipe was cut off and capped about 3in up and covered up with things (not in use)

Is this in an overflow?

Steve

#5 ·
yes,the pipe is an overflow.
he still has the pipe that was cut off, this type of overflow will be loud right.
what can I do to lessen the sucking sound?

and why is it in the center of the tank on one side, it's like 6-8in from any wall? what can I do with this, looks odd.

#6 ·
IMO a single 3/4" drain on a 48" tank is kinda worthless. It cant handle very much water and can be clogged easily by a snail or two and fail. If you intend on using it i would consider making the hole bigger.

As far as noise, you can install a durso standpipe on it for noise and install a overflow box to conceal it. The overflow box would help with surface skimming as well. OR you could just try to hide the drain pipe with rocks.

if it were me, i would open the hole up to 1.5" and add the durso and oveflow box. 1.5" is overkill, but overkill is a good thing when we are talking about water potentially on the floor.

Another thing to consider, is that IF you did add an overflow box, you could just leave the 3/4" bulkhead hole as is to conceal your return pipe, and drill another hole for the drain.

Hope that helps and sorry if that is more work than you planned on. :)

#7 ·
did you get that tank off of craig's list?? I saw it, thought it was a good deal and posted it on the other TCMAS forum, hope it works out great for you. Skimmer's needed asap and canisters are generally frowned upon as detritus acumulates in 'um and keeps DOM in the water column.

#8 ·
did you get that tank off of craig's list?? I saw it, thought it was a good deal and posted it on the other TCMAS forum, hope it works out great for you. Skimmer's needed asap and canisters are generally frowned upon as detritus acumulates in 'um and keeps DOM in the water column.
yep that's the one, It will be a few weeks before I do much of anything with it, after buying plumbing, pumps and new sand. but it will all work out better than my 55.
and all in all, I'm Happy with it.
Now I just have to get it home.''stay tuned for the next post, how do I fix a broken tank!":thumbup:

#10 ·
Tank made it home with out a glitch kind of the tank is at a shop getting drilled with 2 holes 1 is a 1in and the other is a ¾in, the 1in will have an overflow box installed around it and the other is for the return.
That other 3/4in hole in the bottom is really a 1/2in so if they can find a bulkhead fitting for it to turn it into a drain for water changes I think that will be nice and handy.<O:p</O:p
So for now all my live rock is sitting in my 55g tank that is about to burst at the seams, along with all the fish.
But that's only for a few days tell I get the 75g back, I'll just watch the levels.

whats this
View attachment 51479
and the full 55g
View attachment 51478

#13 · (Edited)
Its definitely not a bad thing. And they are desired by many.

I just suggest keeping an eye on it overtime and not letting it spread to a bunch of rocks in your reef. Many things once desirable in this hobby can quickly become pests when you get into keeping lots of other corals.

Green star Polyps and many mushrooms stand out in this regard. GSP being far worse though. Your mushroom will love medium to low light and medium to low flow. Let it grow and spread on a couple of easy to remove rocks then in the future should you decide you dont like it anymore, you can trade them to a lfs or someone for something else. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.