The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Im very new to this so thought i'de post what i have so far to see if im on the right track.

I have a 185l Bow front aqua one tank with a 200w heater, aqua one 750 series 2 canister filter 650l/hr flow rate, v2skim 200 protein skimmer 720l hr flow, aqua-el power head reef 2600, lighting 24w marine blue 420 actinic tube and a white 34w tube (not sure on spec was pre fitted in tanks light fitting) 25k fuji uncured live rock.

The tank has been set up for 3 days so im playing the waiting game for it to cycle readings from tests are as follows
salt 1.024 salinity
ph 7.8
ammonia 2ppm
nitrite 5ppm / 2ppm color so close on test tube
nitrate 40ppm

the tank was filled to start with with tap water however the salt i bought with tank had something in it to remove the chlorene, Im aware that i will have to use ro water from here on in as per lfs advice.

Im very new to this and definatley welcome any comments of feedback

thank you in advance

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hey guys is there anything else you feel i need to get for this tank or is it just a case of waiting for it to cycle

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Well...Sounds like you already got a lot of equiptment...Most reefers do not use a canister filter as they tend to collect dirt and detrius and then create nitrites, this type of filter will work better for a fish tank, rather than a coral tank...RO/DI water is a must for corals as well, but if you are looking for a just a fish tank you should be ok with just RO water(this depends on the quality of water you have to start with)...Again, lighting is not that important with just fish, but some corals need very specific lighting...Let your tank cycle for a few months at least...move very slowly when adding livestock, and read a lot...There is a ton of information available on this site...Welcome, and all the best of luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks Hotdogg, I want to run it with coral, , how quickly should i swop out the canister for something else? i dont think i have the space in the cabinet under the tank for a sump its only 300mm wide and 300mm deep and 690mm tall.
Should i be able to get ro/di water from the lfs ir is there a filter i can buy to make it.
sorry im pretty new to this

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I own my own rodi unit, which under ideal conditions can produce 90 gallons a day of water...Since most people use a siphon to clean detrius and debri from the bottom of their tank once a week, you would need enough ro/di water and salt mix to do about 20% of your tank per month (dirty tanks might need 40% per month), plus enough plain ro/di water to "top off" your system due to evaporation...You would need a place to store your ro/di, In your case about 25 litres per week is really all you need on an ongoing basis...I assume you have a bare bottom tank, which makes it easier to clean...If you have enough movement in your powerheads, you really do not need a filter at all...your live rock becomes your filter, your powerheads keep the dirt from settling onto/into the rock, and your once a week siphoning of dirt and detrius keeps the tank clean...If you siphon 5-10% of your water once a week and replace it with fresh salt water using rodi, you are also replenishing most of the chemicals and elements that your livestock is using to grow and matriculate...Yes you can add a deionization canister to your reverse osmosis canister, you may also feel it is cheaper to purchase ro/di from your lfs for a while...A decent ro/di system is about $150-$200 for your size system (I highly recomend spectra-pure)...you will also need to replace filters every six months or so...Along with all of this you should own a tds meter (to test your water for total dissolved solids)...by the way you should also invest in a refractometer with calibrating fluid to keep your salinity in check...These are my thoughts, and I am sure others will have other ideas as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats great thanks for the advise :), i have crushed coral at the bottom of my tank about an inch deep, I belive i have a fairly good flow rate but would like to get another power head if you feel that wouldn't be over kill.
I have a basic refractometer made by instant ocean the one with the moving needle.

Ive not heard of a tds meter I will ask my lfs if they have one or if not can they order me one.

thanks fo your help

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
When you can, get a refractometer and calibrating fluid, they are much more accurate...A tds meter measures the total dissolved solids in your water...Good drinking water through ro is around 100 tds, clorine and heavy metals removed...Reef water ideally has 0 tds, nothing in it (this water is not good for drinking)...The nitrates, silica, phosphates, are all gone, many of which promote algae growth. The only thing left is h2o, pure hydrogen and oxygen...This is what you mix your salt with for a reef system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts