The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I'm new to this site and figured I would join since every question I have leads me to this forum. Anyway a few months back I fell in love with this hobby and have been stuck ever since. This is my 110 reef tank.
Currently housing
-purple tang
-yellow tang
-desjardini sailfin tang
-3 blue reef chromis
- 5 blue/green chromis
- bullet goby
-diamond watchman goby

Would love to receive some feedback :)

Attachments

·
Shark...fish are friends
5,096 Posts
welcome, I like the tank! I have tank envy of most though so thats no surprise... are you planning on adding corals or mostly just fish? You've gone big... do you have experience with SW tanks in the past? Or just figure on starting with a tank you'll be happy with for longer? I started small (all I can afford / have room for), so eventually I'll be upgrading once I get a bigger house, but for now I'm starting to stock my little 10 gal nano...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Rininger appreciate it! I'be kind of just learned step by step by experiencing it all first hand and a few of my college buddies have tanks of their own so they've helped guide me. I'm planning on putting corals in about 2 weeks, really like the natural look Xinia's add to the tank. Can't wait to see what you upgrade to!

·
Shark...fish are friends
5,096 Posts
I would suggest adding a tiger pistol shrimp... that was my last addition two weeks ago and he is really cool, gave my yellow watchman goby a buddy, they are a lot of fun to watch! although looking at your tank again it looks like your rock is right on your sand isn't it? maybe the pistol wouldn't be a good idea cuz he has been excavating like crazy, thankfully my rock is sitting on PVC pipe so he can dig the sand out without collapsing the rocks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I've seen them in the LFS and mainly my goby's do the sand sifting and all they've done is burrowed under seperate rocks for territory purposes I suppose. They come out rarely but when I feed I have one of those extendable food squirters and I just place food at their holes. The sailfin tang is the pig of the family. When I acclimated all 3 tangs at the same time I was surprised how well they got along because they're all zebrasomas.

·
Keen Reefer
2,164 Posts
Welcome to TRT!!!

How old is the tank? I really like your aquascape.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Mr. Fishy Man I did the structure myself took about 4 attempts of remodeling but I'm very happy with it and love everything about this hobby even testing the water. I've had the tank for 2 months or a little more and the previous owner had it for a few years :)

·
Keen Reefer
2,164 Posts
So it has been set up for a few years, or you have cycled it and had it set up for 2 months?

·
Keen Reefer
2,164 Posts
That is a lot of fish for a tank only 2 months old.

·
125 Gallon Tank
1,932 Posts
nice tank

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@Mr.Fishy Man - I can see why you say that but purple tangs don't come around often where I'm living and these 3 tangs are the combination I've always wanted to house. The lfs said my water is cycled passed all nitrite, nitrate, ammonia and ph tests plus the salt level is right where it needs to be so they said it would be fine that I should just wait some time before adding corals. The fish seem very happy and are doing great it's only the blue reef chromis that gave me issues at first with not eating but now they're finally picking up on it.

·
125 Gallon Tank
1,932 Posts
How long has they been in the tank? U may not face a problem directly it take some time ... Hope that u dont face any.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They've been in about 3 weeks now and never leave each other's side always swimming together which I was not expecting considering they're all 3 zebrasomas I've been pleasantly surprised. I'm using a Vortech powerhead so they're definitely loving the current and feeding well...using pellets and frozen brine shrimp at the moment.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Welcome to TRT!!

very nice. especially the aquascaping. I don't think you have gone too fast, as long as you actually have seen an ammonia/nitrate spike at some point.

in fact, my 215 has been up for almost 4 months and has about 19 fish, mostly tangs, in it. ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite all stay at 0ppm. just keep an eagle eye on your parameters and adjust accordingly, I had to do some large water changes when I started loading my tank down. just be careful you don't add too much all at once, give the tank time to adjust. if you start seeing ammonia, nitrate, or nitrite just slow it down, wait for everything to stabilize again before moving forward.

besides that, you'll be happy you went with a larger tank, as long as you can afford the initial cost. once it's going it will be easier to maintain (except the water changes....) because if something happens, it's going to be more diluted than it would be in a smaller tank.

planning on adding corals?

-William

·
125 Gallon Tank
1,932 Posts
If all ur parameters r ok than i think u made it but be slow in adding any new fishg give tank some time to be ready

1 - 20 of 33 Posts