The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I finally found a place that has the JBJ nano cubes, and they were even on sale, so i purchased one and got all the extras from another LFS (liverock, livesand etc.) and found a suitable place on one side of my living room sofa. Looks sweet there, now I just have to convince my S.O that we need another one on the other side of the sofa to balance things out (shouldnt be too hard to do).

Heres a photo of the tank with it's sand storm, only 1 hour has passed since filling it.

I'll add to this thread as the days, weeks and months turn into years until Im quite satisified with the final outcome.

I think I was quite lucky to find that one huge chunk of liverock, which really isnt liverock as much as it is an old piece of coral. Has a great big cavern inside for things to hide. Now I'll just have to find some smaller pieces in the next couple weeks to build up the top of my mountain.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
looks good so far --- The LR will help settle the sand down quicker.

Keep us posted with pics as time goes on.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well day 3 is fastly approaching, and I added a small Rio powerhead drilled into the back wall of this JBJ nanocube to help with filtering more water, as well as circulation and breaking up the surface tension.

The shot below is about 12 hours after adding the extra powerhead, with the stock unit it just wasnt clearing up the water in a reasonable amount of time.

Im still not pleased with the liverock and how I managed to break it, but I'll let it stay in there and cycle, Im out to pickup a second JBJ Nano cube tank locally so that my sofa will look balanced and add additional light to a dark living room at night.

Anyway, here is day 3's shot, I wont post anymore shots of it till it's crystal clear. Then afterwards when an inhabitant goes into it so as not to clutter this board with my post.

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
Gotta love those Nano Cubes. I have one that I have not been able to set up yet. :( I would like to upgrade the lights in my Cube to two 24 watts or maybe even two 28 watt lights.

Looks good so far. Please post some other details such as heater and other stuff you are using. :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im using the stock setup in the back for now (other than I bought some already seeded ceramic tubes - those things in one of the mesh bags), but added a Rio 50 power head right next to the outlet of the stock pump, I drilled a hole in the backboard so the body is in the sump area so all thats visible is the fan nozzle in the viewable tank.

Im also using a 50w jaeger heater.

On this tank I only really wanted the livesand for display so I only bought 4 lbs of it to just cover the bottom as Im not to fond of purely barebottom tanks (they are okay in some circumstances).

Total weight of the liverocks are just a little over 14lbs. It doesnt look like much rock, but it's really dense stuff since it's really a coral skeleton liverock, and I will never buy it again for sure, it clouds the water terribly when first putting it in. Whereas the second nano Im hooking up right now and have it half filled with the premixed storebought livesand and used a dish to pour in the water and added the new liverock from a different LFS and it's not clouding at all and it's the first stuff I've bought locally that actually has sponges on it, though i dont give them much hope since these guys just put the liverock in a plastic bag with no water and it was a 40 minutes before I could get home and get them in water.

I'll post pictures of this new tank later tonight and keep both nanos in this one thread.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
If the reading light idea doesn't work tell him you NEED one on each side of the bed for mood lighting --- otherwise it just might be a while before your in the mood again :funny:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, just an update.

It's be a total nightmare around here today. My Eclipse which is cycled and not in any of these picutures got a new clown fish 2 days ago, then last night I was dreaming about the clownfish and started having nightmares so I awoke around 5 am and went to check on the clownfish.

He was on his side pale, and huffing and puffing like a dog thats just been run 5 miles behind a car.

I thought about what to do at that point, and finally decided to try to net it out of the eclipse and put it in the tank on the right side of the sofa, since that tank was starte a little over a week ago, with livesand, cured liverock, and and already cultured ceramic rings, and has been the home of the damsel that was pulled out of the eclipse for a couple days with no consequences.

When I went to net the clown fish, he was standing on his tail next to the intake of the eclipse tank and still huffing and puffing like nobodys business. I mean his little mouth and gills were moving a mile a minute and he was too weak to do anything, he didnt resist the net at all, and I scooped him up and hung the net in the nano tank for half an hour (figuring if he got better I would let him go in the tank, but if he died I wouldnt have to dismantle the tank to scoop him back out.

Well, half hour later and he was fighting the net and looked like he was really bored, so I let him loose in the tank.

Now the bad part about this was that it was done rather quickly and didnt want to disturb the rock to try to catch the damsel.

So they were both in the tank today, and the damsel had the clown hiding in a cave, but when I put out some brine shrimp the clown came out for a swim, and swam all over the tank, but refused to eat, he would swim up to a brine shrimp but not even try to eat it. But atleast he was swimming.

So we went off to a far away LFS to see what they were like, and when I returned home I decided that the damsel was just going to have to be taken out of the tank and moved to the other tank on the other side of the sofa.

But to catch him I had to remove 99% of the liverock, and of course this stirred up plenty of mess, but I finally caught him and put him in the other tank not wanting to put him back in the eclipse since I didnt know what went wrong with it.

So the nano that the clown is in, is put back together now in an almost perfect configuration of how it was prior, and cloudy and just yucky right now. But the clown isnt hyperventilating anymore. So thats a good sign right now.

Meanwhile I went down to my really LFS to ask his advise about the Eclipse nano and he said, check you water. I had already done that this mornign after I transfered the clown out, and it tested amonia 0, nitrites 0.3, nitrates 20. The LFS said that was adequate for a clown fish, and that most clown fish will even survive a cycle in a tank. But he urged me to do a 25 to 50% water change in the eclipse to try and dilute whatever was in there, since obviously there was something in there that was harmfull to the inhabitants. So I just got home again because I had to pickup a larger air pump for the Lees protein skimmer that I fit into the eclipse, and did a 5 gallon water change (thankfully I had a 5 gallon container of ocean water bought from the live fish store a couple days ago in the trunk of my car, so it was actually at 78f which is the same temp as my tank, so I poured it right in.

Meanwhile before we left for the long distance fish store this early afternoon I found my peppermint shrimp dead in the eclipse tank. So I pulled it out, which just leaves a green serpent star, a redfooted moon snail and about 4 or 5 margarita snails.

Im just hoping that the 5 gallon water change is enough to dilute whatever it is in this tank that has caused this.

I have another 5 gallon container of water in my trunk and may do another 5 or less water change again tommorrow.

But the star is still active and the snails ahve become active again after the water change today.

The moral of the story is:

1. Wear a pair of gloves (the kind that comes up to the elbows) to avoid getting any pollutants in your tank.

2. When something dies and the water parameters are okay, do a 25 to 50% water change to try and dilute whatever may have caused it.

I dont know what could have gotten into the tank, since setting up the tanks, I only spray cologne on my neck and no longer on my arms, I usually now rince my hands and arms in as hot of water as I can stand then dry them off with a clean terry towel, and Im the only one in the house that puts his hands in the tank.

Im sorry that my peppermint shrimp died, but happy that my clown seems like he will survive, and am now just hoping that my sea star and snails will make it through whatever this is.

I just now found this creature dead on the top of my tank floating around. Im not sure if its a brineshrimp or what, it doesnt really look like a brine shrimp to me, but you be the judge.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And heres the damsels new home (I think I will end up keeping him just because he's survived all this trauma of being moved from tank to tank). This one despite how the photo turned out has actually cleared up nicely now. It's still got a way to go with it's algae problem, but it's getting there.

You'll notice that the rocks have been swapped around, and it's now got a rock from the other tank to create more natural looking cave, and if you look directly into the tank (can't see it from this shot), it has a cave within a cave. Kind of cool.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And finally a shot of the "death chamber". This is a shot of the Eclipse 12, after a 5 gallon water change. The protein skimmers placement is certainly not final, and maybe used on a 7 day on, 7 day off cycle, or I may opt to get the smaller lees skimmer and stick it in the back right corner where it will fit for certain.

It's cleared up slightly since the water change but has a long way to go. Currently it's got a Penn-Plax Cascade 1000 canister filter just running a bag of carbon and a polishing cloth, but Im going to add 2 more bags of carbon later tonight to see if I can't get the water to clear up all the way.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Well, it's been almost a month since I last posted about my nanos.

And......

I've changed quite a lot of things lately.

1. The 12 gallon eclipse tank was retired to a terrarium tank because I managed to put a big long scratch inside on the front pane and was unable to polish it out. But I did buy a 20 gallon high tank to switch it's inhabitants to. I added a dwarf lion fish to the 20 gallon but then got freaked out when I almost got stung by it becoming overly agressive, so I returned it to the LFS and opted to get 3 baby puffers that the store had aclimated to full salt water instead. It's going strong and everyone is healthy, the 20g tanks current inhabitants are a ceylon puffer, 2 green spotted puffers, 1 green serpent star, 1 chocolate chip starfish, 1 anenome hermit crab, 3 scarlet hermit crabs, 1 emerald crab (or so Im told that is it's name, it's green and quite content to eat the algae off of the liverock with it's claws and will shake it's claws up in the air when one of the puffers comes near it like a winner of a boxing match) and 1 margarita snail (I think 2 or 3 of the original margarita snails were eaten by the puffers and the rest were put in one of the nano cubes and are doing well).

2. The nano with the clown (Theodore) is doing well, and is quite sparkling clear most of the time. Small feather dusters are appearing on the liverock now and it's current inhabitants are, 1 clown (theodore), about 5 "algae" snails (thats what they were listed in the LFS as), 1 peppermint shrimp (there were two of them, but one died just the other day after about a month in the tank), and 1 scarlet hermit crab, and one large feather duster. All of them are doing well right now.

3. The other nano on the other side of the sofa had held my domino damsel, but he all of a sudden wasn't doing so well, so he became dwarf lion fish food before the dwarf was returned to the LFS. Then the tank sat vacant for about 2 weeks while I decided what I was going to do with it. Eventually I decided to ditch it (3 small tanks are just too much trouble to deal with, with maintenance and what not), and convert it into a small goldfish tank that now has 2 inhabitants (Richard and Hyacinth), my goldfish.

Heres some recent shots of them in the next couple replies.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Heres theodores (the clownfish) tank, sorry for the out of focus shots, I'll have to try again some other time. All of the little white flecks that you see in the tank are some form of life (good life Im told) and only come out when the tank is unlit, and will disappear about an hour after the lights are turned on in the morning. I can't remember the name of them right now, but a few people told me that they are beneficial to the tanks bio system.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Heres the converted nano cube to the goldfish tank, which underwent a serious brown algae bloom, when the tank was a barebottom tank, then I finally came to grips with it, and added purple gravel substrate so they would have something to do during the day like scavenge for food. It's kinda cloudy right now but will clear up in a day or so.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
And heres the puffers tank, it is using a cascade 1000 canister filter, has about 25lbs of liverock thats getting some beautiful coraline algae going (but little else due to the puffers desire to chomp on anything that looks like it might be tasty), and has a seaclone 100 skimmer thats just skimming its little pump (maxijet 1200) off due to the puffers being such pigs of food and such dirty wastefull fish.

YES those plants are plastic plants. I added them to amuse the puffers since puffers seem to be quite inquisitive animals and really need something to inbestigate during the day. So by rearanging the rocks to where there is less line of sight from one end of the tank to the other and adding the plastic plants, it calmed down the ceylon puffer quite a bit and he hardly ever goes chasing his reflection anymore. Wherease prior to the plant additions he was either going to drive himself or myself insane by running up and down the tanks height on the glass all day long. The green spotted puffers are not exhibiting this behavior and I wonder if its purely because they are smaller and can explore more of the small caves in the tank. I'll have to check that theory out more later.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts