The Reef Tank banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, I saw a snail id awhile back that looked like my snail. Someone said what they saw was a sundial snail..a bad guy. Well, my snail looks similar to that pic, but mine has a smooth shell.. I finally got a pic... here it is...what is he? :)

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am soo sorry about the size...I forgot to resize it. hehheh The snail is only the size of an eraser head.

·
Super Moderator
28,211 Posts
hehehe on the size of picture, Jeremy! Great pic though. Hope you can keep him..nice lookin' critter :)

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have a few that look similar to that, except mine are briter colored, a little more orange-brown with the white stripes.
Got 3 in the nano and at least 2 in the big tank..
They seem OK to me, only eating the alga, but they are hard to find in the tanks, lots of hidey-holes for those little things.

Lee:beer:

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok..well, no one is saying anything bad about them...so I guess I will throw him in the fuge. :) Thanks. If this little guy takes out my whole tank...(kamakazi snail) I am holding you all responsible! heh heh heh Just kidding! ;)

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Harpo is right, that comes from an hour massage. :) The snail looked stress from the move, so I decided to massage the tension out of them. heh heh..no, it is wet. I pulled it out and placed it on a white surface for the pic. Great pic huh? ;)

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
I'm not sure what kind of snail that is, and whether it's good or bad, but it's definitely not the Sundial Snail, Heliacus. They have a very distinctive checkerboard pattern. This isn't the greatest pic but you can see the difference. I think this pic is from the hitchiker faq on RDO, btw.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
nice pictures of both. i can not remember the name of of your snail but the fs down the street sells the sme looking ones. very smooth and they are kept in with his corals. i have not seen any problem with them as of yet, i am going their i think tonight or tomorrow. i will take a look and see if he has any more.

tims

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cool..I appreciate that Tims. I threw the snail in the fuge after the pic, and havn't seen him since..but there are tons of hiding places for him, and I don't spend as much time staring at my fuge as I do my tank. :)

·
Registered
371 Posts
If it's the same as mine, then you will find them to be rather on the prolific side. My nano now has almost 20 of them in various sizes. From 1mm across to aapprox 7mm across.

They are also in the bigger tank, just not as many of them - yet.
But I also have numerous spiral-cone shelled snails approx 1/4in in length.
They only come out at night:eek:

Lee:beer:

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have these little guys in all of my tanks. On page 104 of Julian Sprung's "Invertebrates" there is a picture of them. He doesn't name the beast but here is the caption of the photo: "This small reletive of Stomatella reproduces in aquariums. It is a harmless nocturnal herbivore".

Ken

·
Professional newbie!
404 Posts
Alice said:
I'm not sure what kind of snail that is, and whether it's good or bad, but it's definitely not the Sundial Snail, Heliacus. They have a very distinctive checkerboard pattern. This isn't the greatest pic but you can see the difference. I think this pic is from the hitchiker faq on RDO, btw.
I just bought a Zoa and had a couple of these boogers on it. (see the pic Alice attached) I yanked 'em cause it looked like they were fixing to munch the polyps.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.