The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought this guy about 2 weeks ago. Tank is 55gal tank with 10gal eshopps wetdry (i know the bioballs argument but i do have them and they are fine for now). About 75lb of live rock. Plenty of algae to keep this star and my lawnmower blenny happy. Last week one of the stars legs started to not look too good and over the past week as you can see it has completely lost it. It looks like some of the white body is melting and stringy. I was not too worried about it until today and it looks like a second of its arms is melting away too. What could this be? i do not have a QT tank right now so if i need to qt and treat how would i do this... what size would i need? what filtration for a qt? do i have to put sand and LR in the qt?

all of my other inhabitants seem to be doing great including pair of fancy clowns, yellow tang, lawnmower blenny, and golden headed goby. BTA, zoas, and trumpet all are healthy and looking good.

Params all were normal last time i checked. I will test again if you all need the info.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will get it out tonight...

and i did not take the star out of the tank. I have a background made on photoshop of reefs and a wreck that i have been scuba diving on. Girlfriend is a graphic deisigner so she put all the pics together and then i had it printed to fit exactly the background

Its also a good camera... Nikon DSLR - not sure of the exact model

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to follow up.... I would like to try and save the star if possible. How would i go about setting up a qt or hospital tank? What size? what equipment do i need? would i put LR/sand in it?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I wonder if cutting the bad parts off will help it? They can grow new legs and all. I have also heard you can cut them in two and it will grow new.... try that before giving it up as dead!!!!!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am going to go to store and purchase a QT setup tonight... maybe i can nurse it back

Are there any medications or additives i should add to the water? I going to fill the QT with water from the DT and then top off the DT with fresh SW. Just need to know if there is anything i should add to the water

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well... by the time i made it home from work last night after purchasing a QT setup.. it was already too late. The good news is that now i have a QT... the bad news is that the star didnt make it.

at least i have a QT for future purchases now

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Those stars (like many stars) are extremely difficult to keep. They have a high mortality rate during shipping and most tanks (realistically) can not keep stars long term. These creatures are very sensitive to changes in tank parameters (salinity, pH, alkalinity, etc). Saying "normal" parameters (to me) means that the parameters were not up to the standards of the star.

Quarantine tanks are more for holding fish stock, and a 10g tank is really not going to hold a star very well (or larger fish). A smaller water volume parameters change faster than a large volume, and that is not good for inverts. Holding tanks (QT-acting) for inverts are a different beast. It is better for them to be larger, more stable and often "more high tech" than their larger counterparts. If the star had a chance to survive in the main tank, then moving it to a 10g would almost guarantee death. In addition, most medications commonly available to aquariums are lethal to stars.

My guess is that the parameters were not supportive for star health and the tank is not mature/healthy enough for keeping a star. (Also you LFS and their wholesaler might not be handling stars correctly if it was a new acquisition)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts