The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
Sorry to hear about the loss. They will eat them if they are very hungry or lacking the proper light. Your LTA is very bleached. It was probably just looking for some nutrition.

·
Banned
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
then I guess I should not have taken that clown from him :( ... I hope he does not eat any of my others! He has only been in there since wed, I was told not to feed the first week. I guess I will feed it tomorrow, just to be on the safe side. It still has not attached to anything.

·
Super Moderator
27,207 Posts
I hope that LTA gets indigestion. I'm sorry about your loss :(

·
Banned
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I hope it does too! .. I just fed it some shrimp, and my darwins, who were in the anemone at the time, attacked the cleaner shrimp when they came to take the food from the anemone, that was awsome!

·
Registered
333 Posts
First off, I'm very sorry for your loss.

Was your clown aquacultured? If so, do you know if it was F1, F2, F3, yada, yada, yada. Some mariculturing companies are pushing the limits and the offspring are too far from F1 IMO. These clowns that are pushed too far understand enough to know that;

A: This is an anemone and I should be in it

However, they don't understand this;

B: I need to rub on this anemone's foot to pick up it's slime coat before I go anywhere REMOTELY close to it's tentacles. CLOWNFISH AND ANEMONES ARE NOT FRIENDS. The same goes for Cardinals. The anemone doesn't have a clue the clownfish is there. The slimecoat tricks it. If the anemone had a clue the clown was there, it would eat it.

We all like to think that a clownfish and anemone is a symbiotic or mutualistic relationship....it isn't. (Technically, it is but it's not on purpose).

Where did you read not to feed for the first week? I HIGHLY disagree with that advice. They wander less in the beginning if fed properly.

·
Banned
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That clown was taken out of the ocean, from its anemone, and delivered strait to the guy who I got it from.

I also disagree with that not feeding in the first week advice, obviously. I read it online.

·
Registered
959 Posts
man that sucks, now you have to find another mate for the other guy. I wonder if it died by some other cause instead of a sting.

·
Super Moderator
27,207 Posts
Curt - Thanks for the info on clown and anemones. I didn't know all of that.

Good thing is....I've read here that clowns will host with all kinds of things. My clown's two favorites (which the rics killed) were colt corals and nice big fluffy leather corals.

Once again, Tynan, I'm sorry to hear about your clown. She was a beauty.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts