The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my kole tang about 5 days ago, today i noticed he was getting a bit pale and not acting the way he use to act, hes not picking on the glass or rocks or swimming all over the place, hes not coming out of his cave. He never ate any of the foods i tryed to feed him frozen brine with and without garlic, mysis with and without garlic, omega one marine pellets with garlic, hikari marine -s- pellets, omega one green seaweed, ocean nutrition green marine algea with garlic. I dont know what to do all the other fish are fine water is good plenty of algea on rocks and glass. please let me know anything that i can do?:help::fish:

·
Novel Responder
4,371 Posts
What are the other occupants?
How big is the tank?
How old was the tank?
How was it acclimated?
What are the water parameters?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have 2 clowns,2 firefish,1 coral beauty, 2 twin spot gobys, snails and hermits.its a 56g.a month old, i drip acclimated for about 4 hours. just checked water parameters yesterday and it looks good. my salinity was little high between 1.024 1.025 got that lowered. he looks little better hes swimming a bit more today but still not eating

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
My guess is that is stressed out, your tank is very young, and you have a lot of fish in there. The salinity is fine, as long as it is consistant. I run about 1.026 all the time. Don't add anything else, keep trying to get it to eat. Do you have a sump?

·
Novel Responder
4,371 Posts
My guess is that is stressed out, your tank is very young, and you have a lot of fish in there. The salinity is fine, as long as it is consistant. I run about 1.026 all the time. Don't add anything else, keep trying to get it to eat. Do you have a sump?
+1. Are you sure the tank fully cycled? Most cycles will take 3-6 weeks. This can add a lot of stress. Adding too many fish too fast can also add a lot of stress as it can cause dangerous swings in the bacteria populations as they try and adapt to the increased bioloads. Salinity for a reef should be between 1.024-1.026. FOWLR's can be a little less and fish only a little lower than that even. As tlynn said, stability is the most important factor.

·
Novel Responder
4,371 Posts
May or may not help. Other concern is the tank size. Most guidelines, such as Scott Mitchell's 500 Marine Fishes" say to put that tang in a minimum 75g tank. I know quite a few people on here who them in a 55g or a 40g breeder tank, but they tend to be among the more experienced hobbyists on the site, so know the potential dangers and how to avoid them, etc. As I said, they are guidelines, but a good thing to use for newer hobbyists. A lot of wheter or not it will work adding later will depend on the individual fish, how the occupants get along, and especially the hobbyists ability to recognize/avoid potential issues.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts