The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Hi Everyone, as most of you know my Hippo Patrick hasn't been happy since we moved 2 months ago. Well this am he finally passed away. I'm not sure if it was old age that killed him or the move. I bought him 6 yrs ago and at that point he was no bigger than a quarter. He was always very healthy and had made it through moves but this last one did him in. The morning of the move he was fine but the guy I hired to move the tank was much less than he sold himself to be and left all of my fish in a bucket all day with no air pump. Only 3 fish made it and Patrick was never the same. He would always hide and never swim he would only eat food that came to him. I'm sad he is gone but happy he's not suffering any more.
What is the life expectancy of a Hippo in captivity?
Patrick

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
Sorry to hear that!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Sorry for your loss. I have heard that Hippo Tangs will live for 5 years or longer in the aquarium with 10 years not being uncommon.

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
Sorry for your Loss

(And it's not nice naming fish after yourself !!)
I almost had a heart attack

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for your Loss

(And it's not nice naming fish after yourself !!)
I almost had a heart attack
I'm sorry I didnt even think about that when I posted the thread. Is there someway I can change the title?
Brian named him after me because he said the hippo was a drama queen why that made him think of me I'll never know

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry for your loss. I have heard that Hippo Tangs will live for 5 years or longer in the aquarium with 10 years not being uncommon.
thanks so I guess he was still kinda young

·
Registered
480 Posts
:cry: Sorry about your Hippo Patrick, That is sad to hear is was because someone did not care about what they were doing, just about the money.

·
Enjoy it now
4,085 Posts
dang! very sorry to hear this!!!!

What is up with this month?! People are selling their tanks left and right, hoses are coming off of pumps and flooding basements, fish passing away....Are the planets out of alignment or something?!

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Oh Patrick, I am glad I did not read the post before you changed the title!!!

I remember the nightmare with your move... it still makes me mad!:angry: I am so sorry to hear about the "other" Patrick... you had him for a long time... it makes me so sad. Like you said, he was not eating and was never the same, so now he is not suffering anymore. Still it is not easy to lose one of our finned babies...:bawling:

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks Everyone
it was so strange going to the tank this am and not looking for him. I know my tank prob has plenty of fish but it seems empty just knowing hes no longer there.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts