The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks!

There's a lot I need to learn since I had to quit the reef hobby years ago. I am learning that there have been many changes to the methods employed in filtration, and different views about setting up a reef system.

Does anyone here have an Eco-Wheel filtration system or know someone who has one? I'm curious how well this works. I corresponded with the company and am awaiting an information package by mail.

Also, I visited the Tampa Bay Live Rock site and am intrigued by their Live Rock/Live sand/critters package. I'd like to know if anyone is familiar with their recommended approach to setup. They have a package deal for all sizes of tanks that includes the live rock, live sand and assorted critters. The price for my 180 gallon tank is about $1700. Does this sound reasonable considering that their LR appears to be of high quality? I would save shipping charges since I'm not all that far from Tampa, and would pick up the first batch of rock and the sand, and return for the remaining order.

I welcome your opinions! Thank you much....

Rey

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Rey the only thing i know about them is they are not open to the public very much and you have to have an appointment to come in,I have been there twice.My 180 cost $2500

G

·
im npt to familiar with eco whell.....as far as my filtration goes it is the lr and ls in my display and sump as well as a protien skimmer and water changes.... imo this is all you need...hth

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just visited the website for Tampa Bay Saltwater and there LR looks fantastic. Has anyone had any experience with them?

·
Registered
862 Posts
If you go over to reefcentral.com there is forum with just TBS information. it would be good to read through the info. generally there is nothing to complain about with TBS rock with the one exception being that you stand a high chance of getting mantis shrimp as hitch hikers. there are a couple of other companies that sell florida cultured rock now, I believe they are gulfview and hirocks.com same quality but I dont know about prices. generally I find the "package" prices too high to order myself. I have TBS rock and am very happy with it. service was fine. my suggestion is to buy the rock but not the package due to the overall price.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts