The Reef Tank banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, this is my first post on your forum.

I often read, and i must say , you guys are very knowlegable and friendly.

but this time I have a little problem, that I hope someone here can answer for me.

I have a 20 gallon reef take, that is 8 weeks into the cyclying period,

I have a 95 watt power compact, it's called a moon light.

My chemical balances are right on, through testing.

But, I have diatom bloom problems, that I can't seem to make go away, now they will subside when my light is off for a few days. but as soon as I turn it on, the bloom is all over the tank, it usaully is bad after 4-5 hours.

Anyone know if my high wattage light is feeding this diatom?

or is there anything someone could share, that might help?

Thanks

·
Administrator
47,678 Posts
Welcome to TheReefTank :)
The diatom bloom you are having is normal and will dissapear in a little while as the available free silicates(silicic(sp) acid I believe) are absorbed into the system. Plan on other algaes coming and going in phases the first 6 months or so, thats normal and why we emphasize not to rush stocking a reef tank in the begining , HTH

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

Thank you for responding.

This tank is only stocked with live rock, and two blue damsels.
Is this too much?

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
i had a 10 gallon fish only tank with live rock, and it went through a diatom bloom too, but it went as quickly as it came, and ive never seen the stuff again. I would just keep on doing what youve been doing, being sure not to overfeed your damsels, and it will probably go away later once your tank is fully cycled.....good luck.

erin

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hello!

First let me say WELCOME to TRT.

Next is my disclaimer that I am by no means, an expert in any area of reefing.

That said, you didnt mention if you're using RO/DI water or aged tap water. There are so many silicates and other inert micros in tap water that will feed the diatoms. I think if you used RO/DI water, that would really help.

Now the experts can chime in ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Hello sounds like your tank is going through a normal cycling period! You should be fine!:)

Attachments

·
Administrator
47,678 Posts
Nichole is right, if you are using tap water, the trace amounts of crud that most municipal water supplies add will be problematic if you have corals, or even just fish with the lighting you have.
Drinking water allows higher levels of nitrate, orthophoshates and all kinds of other stuff thats detrimental to a tankful of delicate reef inverts.
Well water is nearly as bad and in areas that are traditionally agricultural or in close proximity , the aquafiers have become laden with same nitrates, phosphates, orthophosphates and other agricultural by-products from fertilizer, not to mention inceticides, herbicides, and petrochem waste from road runoff, oil change oil dumped on the ground, etc
With a 20 gallon tank you can prolly get away with a TapWater Purifier from Aquarium Pharmacuticals, buy it online for alot less than the typical $60 retail price. lot of people run 2 of them together so that as the first gets exhausted you take it off and add a new one behind the second, insuring clean water for top off, mixing SW for water changes,etc. Its a real good idea to start with best water right from the begining.
Oh yah , if you get a bigger tank at some point you can always run the TWP behind a Reverse Osmosis unit, its essentially the same deionizing unit

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
water

I am using ro water from culligan. And so far I've done 0 water changes, i just top it off everyday.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Re: water

5181550 said:
so far I've done 0 water changes, i just top it off everyday.
Have you tested for nitrates? They're usually the end product of the biological cycle. Water changes would help to dilute them.

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
Welcome to TRT!!!

:wavey:

i would go ahead and start your weekly water changes. on a 20 it could just be a gallon a week.

it took close to 3 months for my tank to get through its diatom phase. i think at the 9 month mark i made it through all of the algae phases. it takes a while for these systems to get going.

G~

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
my diatom bloom lasted less than a week and I have never had any major problem with any kind of algae (in a fish only w/ LR setup), just a slight film on my glass which my snails take care of; just goes to show you that every system is different!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts