The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i just started a 15 gal tall nano and just wanted to get some advice from you guys i am fairly new so here's what i got so far

15 tall tank running for about a month now
20" current pc fixture 40w dual daylight and 40w dual actinic
1 power head

5 snails
4 hermit crabs
1 striped damsel
6-1/2 lbs live rock
8 lbs dry base rock
20lbs nature's ocean white sand
1 colt coral about 4" tall got it at about 2" 2 weeks ago :)

everything seem happy

any advise would help like should i get more fish? coral?
thanks

·
Administrator
18,763 Posts
If you can trade the damsel in that would probably be a really good idea. Though there are a few peaceful damsels, many of them are mean. This is one. They start out pretty good, but once they grow up they are aggressive. Your tank is way too small to keep him in for his full lifespan and certainly too small to keep him with any other fish and have them come out of it alive. ;)

15 gallons is small so there are really only a few fish that you can do well in there. Goby are good, firefish, etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool thanks for the quick reply
based on the equipment i have is there anything i should add or upgrade? i plan on making it a nano reef but with mostly beginner corals and ones that don't require too much light add i'm also on a tight budget for now lol

·
Administrator
18,763 Posts
A heater if you don't have one. I didn't see one listed.
Eventually you might want to upgrade the lighting. You will be able to grow most soft corals with the PC lighting but someday may want to advance.
Also one really important piece of equipment that I recommend is an Auto Top Off System. Evaporation in a small tank creates a big swing in salinity over a short period of time. By including an ATO on your system you avoid this problem.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Get rid of the damsel, i swear they turn evil especially if they are the first fish you add. The quickly become territorial. I have better success with damsels (including clowns) when i add them last!

·
Lost At Sea
1,505 Posts
Firefish are certainly great to use.

You can also go with other smaller gobies, but be warned - most are jumpers. Chromis aren't a bad small fish either.

Depending on how you keep your house temp, you may or may not need a heater. I don't use one in my 65g or 10g and the temps remain around 76-77(night, day).

PC lights put out a good amount of heat so it definitely will warm your tank up. I had to swap out my 10g lighting because the PC unit I had kept pushing the temp to almost 82.

ATO is a great idea and not sure what you use to supply water, but a RO/DI will certainly save money in the long run. As you are on a budget, 5 gallons of fresh and 5 gallons of premix will last some time and should cost no more than $12 for both (my lfs sells fresh for .50 and premix for $1.00/gal).

If you can visually see there are no dead spots of flow in the tank, you shouldn't need another powerhead.

Regular weekly water changes should avoid the need for a skimmer.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Firefish are certainly great to use.

You can also go with other smaller gobies, but be warned - most are jumpers. Chromis aren't a bad small fish either.

Depending on how you keep your house temp, you may or may not need a heater. I don't use one in my 65g or 10g and the temps remain around 76-77(night, day).

PC lights put out a good amount of heat so it definitely will warm your tank up. I had to swap out my 10g lighting because the PC unit I had kept pushing the temp to almost 82.

ATO is a great idea and not sure what you use to supply water, but a RO/DI will certainly save money in the long run. As you are on a budget, 5 gallons of fresh and 5 gallons of premix will last some time and should cost no more than $12 for both (my lfs sells fresh for .50 and premix for $1.00/gal).

If you can visually see there are no dead spots of flow in the tank, you shouldn't need another powerhead.

Regular weekly water changes should avoid the need for a skimmer.
+1

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks everyone for the replies
i will be getting rid of the damsel soon, so what are your opinions about using carbon
i hear its good and then i also hear its not.... and do you think if i split the output of the filter hoses into two and put them on each corner pointing towards the middle of the tank, it would be enough to replace the power head? its a rapids mini canister filter.(power head is bulky and ugly looking lol :) ) and any ideas for diy surface skimmer, im starting to get a film on the surface of my water

1 - 9 of 9 Posts