The Reef Tank banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, i recently decided to take it upon myself to build my first sw reef tank. My dad is is into the hobby but is just now learning all of the new aspects and trends and in the past never did anything but fish only. he picked up a 90g tank and i managed to talk him out of it:dance: . since i was able to get the tank i opted to build my own stand......yeah...first off i would like to say if you ever build your own stand DO NOT make it the exact dimensions of the tank:doh:. I cannot slide a peice of paper between the tank and the side caps, it fit, but barely. when i built the stand i made it a little taller than most so it will accomodate my 29g sump, and then i built another table/stand to straddle one end of the sump for a 10g fuge. I finally managed to plumb my system. Its really no daunting task but i have twin toddlers who keep me from giving it my full attention. btw i have 2 mag 9.5's one for the sump and the other for the closed loop. let me just say i need to learn some patience. i already had all of the bulkheads for everything except the return for the sump. instead of waiting a week to order another bulkhead, i took the advice of the guy at the lfs back home (im in the airforce, no sw lfs where im at) and made my own :doh:. i used a threaded adapter, made my own gasket out of some gasket material and tahdah i thought i would be good to go. i poured some water into my overflow box and let it sit for a while to make sure no leaks. well today i decided to give it the test run for leaks on the whole system. i filled my tank....no leaks...and then i turned my pump on....it lasted about 15 seconds before my makeshift bulkhead blew apart...:cry:..water everywhere...and i didnt even care..i was more upset that it didnt work..lol...i hate being a newbie. atleast i did have the sense to order a bulkhead just in case when i ordered my ro/di unit last week. the ups guy actually tried to deliver it today, but i was out getting a christmas tree..and when i got back found the note on the door...wont be back till monday. i have to work this weekend anyway..:(...well as of right now thats where i stand. waiting. on the ups guy.
I have yet to purchase any other equipment, i was gonna wait till january after the holidays and just cycle rock in the meantime. but my equipment plans are to get a MSX 200 skimmer, and 2 250w icecap Mh's, i dont know what im going to supplement with..yet....well thats that. i would gladly welcome any suggetions. i am pretty open minded and not hard set on anything yet. im gonna go fix a drink and work on soaking the water out of my carpet :eek:

Glenn
~Almost only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades~

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
Hey Glenn, sounds like a good project. I like your product selection so far, so no real comments on that, but what do you plan on keeping in the tank?

·
Registered
160 Posts
sounds like a great project. although id say you do have some patience, because if it was for me, on that bulkhead project I wouldnt of have tested it. I probably would have just ran full system with it. lol. I gues were all newbies to an extent, thats why we come to the boards and ask questions. gl on the first build, ill be keeping an eye on this one.

oh yeah and post pics when you can ;)

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what do you plan on keeping in the tank?
i havent decided. i know i want corals. from some of the things i have been reading you cant really mix soft corals with hard stony corals?? something about soft corals putting out a toxin that inhibits the growth of hard corals? i have no idea if what i read is even right. i havent really got that far yet. i was going to research and ask some q's on here while my rock is cycling. i havent even purchased the rock yet, anybody got any good places to buy rock from?

and ill put up some picks as soon as i can find my camera...i think my kids hid it..lol

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Welcome, you have indeed found the haven for those who know enough to help you join the ranks of the addicted. So you say you have twin toddlers, look at your tank and welcome your new child to the family, it will take as much care and money as the little ones over time. Your list is looking good, once you know what you would like to thrive in the tank post the ideas, you wil get more ideas on what it will take to keep the livestock happy. research and ask here for some of the best suggestions before you buy. Good luck.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well here is what it looks like in the beginning stages. i am working on the canopy. i decided to do just a simple plain stand and save my money for the equipment. i might paint the stand black though. my wife doesnt like the wood grain look. ill take some more pictures of everything after i get the plumbing problem fixed.

Attachments

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
by the way..i just have to say i think my stand looks like garbage..:crap:

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
48" x 18" x 25"

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ithink its just because i took the pic from the side :lol:

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah its a loop. sorry for the crappy pic. there are two returns up top the one on the top right in kinda hidden by the glare, they are the teal ones, they have adjustable jets like a jacuzzi. and there is only one on the bottom, the black one, to feed the pump.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts