The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my house was flooded, and in the midst of repairs I decided there was no better opportunity then now to build my tank. My set back on having one in the past has been lack of room for one, but with the renovation of my office, I found the perfect spot.....a linen closet that was never used.

After destruction, construction began. I ripped out the old closet face and doors and ran a dedicated 20 amp line to the closet. I have a double gang box both above and below the tank and GFI's on an easily excessable wall.

Once the electrical was completed, I wanted to build a strong sturdy base for the tank to sit on. With the help of some 2 x 4's and 2 x 6's and lag bolts, I think the job was accomplished. May be a little over kill, but hey, go big or go home.

2x4 frame lag bolted into the framing of the house.

2x6's laid across the framing. Once these were on, a cut to size 1/2" piece of plywood laid on top. Now the waiting began for the custom built tank to arrive. In the mean time I built a DIY canopy that hinged off of the wall and folds up into the top of the closet and out of the way. The inside of goes up about 20"'s on the inside of the closet that you cant see. Sorry, forgot to take pics.

Here is a pic of the initial fit of the tank on 5/2 when it arrived. It was a perfect fit, and wider would have screwed me! The tanks dims are 29 x 24 x 31.

After getting the temporary sump set up as the real thing was still in construction, we aquascaped 103#'s of Fiji LR and filled it with 90 gallon of RO/DI water.

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The lighting is a 6x24 retro kit from ReefGeek. I was concerned about lighting issues in such a deep tank but I was assured by Greg (who I do business with and know he wont stear me wrong) thta it will be sufficient. However, I did mak the canopy deep enough to fit in another 2 bulbs. The retro kit from Reef Geek is kick a** and puts off a ton of light. I can get a tan under it!

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I just went and pick up another 16#'s of cured LR just now. A 4# piece of plate rock and 12#'s of some cool Tonga branch rock. Thought the tank could use a little more rock due to the depth, but am not sure how it will look mixing the branch rock with the fiji! Time to aquascape and find out. Will post pics in a bit.

· Premium Member
15,740 Posts
I have a suggestion ( and that's all it is!) but when you aquascape try to leave as much space between the rocks as you can to allow for flow. This will make for cleaner rock and a healthier tank. You can also have more hiding places for fish and varied levels for coral. Just a thought.

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the input guys. Now, answer this......How do I make this branch rock look like it belongs in the tank with the Fiji? And.....it is cured, will it always be "bleached white" looking, or will the Fiji and branch become the same color?

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That is the answer I was hoping for.

Here is a pic of the new aquascape.....my second attempt. I actually got frustrated to the point where I asked the help of my girlfriend for her interior design expertise. (But her helping is a good sign of acceptance and interest. She hated the idea of me getting one to the point that I had to make her a custom closet to do so.)Let me know what you think. I am happy with the plate rock!! Branch, not so much.

· Premium Member
11,973 Posts
A cool thing you might want to try with the branch rock is to place it off the main pile and have the ends epoxied to the pile. Think of a mangrove swamp and how the roots look. This would give you better flow, places for the fish to hide, and some really cool places once the corals fill in.

Aquascaping is one of the things that many of us are never truly happy with in our own systems. It always seems like I find a picture that shows a really cool scape and wonder why I did not do something like that instead. ;)

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I changed the aquascape again the other night and am happy with the way it turned out. also installed my sump underneath the tank. I built a "dolly" for it so I can pull it out from under the tank when I need to work on it. Turned out ok.

Question.......during the cycle, should I have lights off or on? They have been off since the 2nd of May when the tank was born.

Will post pics of the progress soon.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.