The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was kinda board tonight, not much happening' on the boards so I thought I would post something different. After spending 15 years in corporate America (American Airlines) I suddenly found myself out of work. My wife and I made a living for a while making and selling our own artwork, but it was a tough go. About this time last year we found ourselves in a position to start buying and rehabbing distressed properties. I was looking thought the pics of our latest "project" and thought "what the heck, I'll post some and see what y'all think". We have a couple weeks worth of work left to do on it, but it's coming along very nicely, IMO.

So here you go, this is the house we bought for our current project:

And the inside:

anyone want some 70's paneling cheap?

the kitchen:

and bathroom:

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should add...the pics probably don't look too bad...what you can't see is that the house had been sealed up tight, but had some water leaks so it was very damp and musty...and, I'm sorry if I offend those who smoke, but the previous owners where obviously very heavy smokers and the smell of old cigarettes and the yellow nicotine stains where pretty bad.

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok...some some shots from along the way:

Here is the kitchen pretty well torn up:

some more of the house being "gutted":

hey, that's me, hard at work, LOL:

and here is my slave labor, LOL! Not really, they actually will get a "cut" of the proceeds when the house sells:

and here are the workers on one of their many "union breaks"!

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So here is some real progress...

First off we thought the house needed some character so we added a little front porch:

the house also needed a new roof. We found out that over the years they had just done layover after layover...see if you can count how many layers of shingles there are here:

and one of the biggest transformations, new siding and a new front door!

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How about that 50's wallpaper?

the whole house gets walls and ceilings done with knockdown texture (ah I do love the smell of fresh drywall)

and a coat of fresh paint:

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fast forward to today!

Kitchen is almost done...still need a floor and some trim/finish work:

It's hard to get work done under the kitchen sink with this kind of help:

Bathroom is almost done too, same deal...just need the finishing touches:

So what do you guys think of the red??? I like it, but I'm not sure it was the best choice for the "masses".

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So...me thinks that is enough for one night...if there is some interest in this thread I'll post some more.

Thanks for looking!

·
Administrator
46,677 Posts
Sweet, as someone thats stuck in terminal house refurb hell, I like it

I love the before and after pics of the front of the house, my lap siding looks like the before shot, I like the narrower5 siding look, and man I am tired of repaints :(

·
Registered
154 Posts
WOW! Great job. If I was in the market for a cute house that size in the area I think I'd take that one for sure!

and here is my slave labor, LOL! Not really, they actually will get a "cut" of the proceeds when the house sells:
Sounds like a fancy way of saying "college fund".

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WOW! Great job. If I was in the market for a cute house that size in the area I think I'd take that one for sure!

Sounds like a fancy way of saying "college fund".
They turn 13 in a few months, they are thinking "automobile fund", LOL!

·
kid impersonator
3,840 Posts
They turn 13 in a few months, they are thinking "automobile fund", LOL!
(twins, sorry to hear that)
mine turned 14 and refuse to do anything that doesn't involve the computer

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
(twins, sorry to hear that)
mine turned 14 and refuse to do anything that doesn't involve the computer
Boy I hear that...biggest mistake I made was putting a computer in each of their rooms, LOL! At least this time of year they would rather be in the pool instead of in their rooms. I can't complain, they are good kids and with some direction (and financial motivation) pretty good help most of the time.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Nice job! I do the same thing for a living, but the houses I do look sooooooooo much worse than that one did, in the beginning. Do you have termites up there? I just went up to Wisconsin to help some friends with their first restoration. I was amazed to find that they don't have termites up there. ALL the older wood frame houses down here are eat up with them.

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice job! I do the same thing for a living, but the houses I do look sooooooooo much worse than that one did, in the beginning. Do you have termites up there? I just went up to Wisconsin to help some friends with their first restoration. I was amazed to find that they don't have termites up there. ALL the older wood frame houses down here are eat up with them.
We have 'em, just not like you do down south. Your right this little house was pretty nice other than being a little dated (even had new tilt vinyl windows). I've worked on some much worse, and passed on some that I just didn't want to take on the headache.

·
kid impersonator
3,840 Posts

what's a termite ;)

so you were in my neck of the north woods, and didn't stop by?????

·
Super Moderator
10,749 Posts
Great work!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts