The Reef Tank banner

My corals will not grow!

5K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Theexoticbichir 
#1 ·
I have had this aqualife t5ho for a couple months now and I haven't seen little to no growth in my tank. My tank has 2x 18w lighting 1x 10000k and 1x 420nm blue. Corals I have are mushrooms, Ricordia, Kenya tree, frogspawn, toadstool, candy cane, Monti cap, gsp, zoas, and Xenia. Tank has 14 gallon sump/fuge with 14 lbs of lr, a seaclone protein skimmer, and a phosban reactor.

Tank parameters:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: 5ppm
Phosphate: 1ppm
DKH: 9
PH: 8.3
Calcium: 250 ppm

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

#8 ·
Should be fine lighting for a 10 gallon. A little strange to have a larger sump than tank. Sounds like you have a lot of critters in there that are using up the calcium and probably other nutrients quickly. I have used Purple Up in the past and still do once in a while to help keep my levels up and add Iodine into the system. My Xenia thrives on added iodine.

How long has the tank been up?

#13 ·
Unless you have an algae problem, the 1 ppm phosphates is minimal and isn't an issue with why your corals are not growing as you would like. As far as growth, there might just be a limit to how much coral you can have and sustain growth in the size system you have. There comes a time when a sort of equilibrium is reached where there is not enough available nutrients to continue the growth.

Just a theory on my part, but something to think a:idea:bout.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.