The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since day 1 the little joker loves to "hide" at the top of the tank. It is like his little area in the tank. He stays in the corner all day and night and will come to the front when I feed him. He has been a solo fish for over a month now and I was going to get him a friend and wondering if this would help him to explore more of the tank.

I was going to grab another tank raised clown from a different store and see how things go.

I was also looking for something that they might take to as a host. It is a small 25 gallon tank and the lighting is only 25 watts. Anything I can do that they might take as a host? I really dont want to update the lighting unless I absolutley have to. I am saving for a bigger tank now. I just feel bad for him cause he is always alone.

edit: Will they take to some plants maybe? Rather then killing corals and stuff will they take to a clump of grass or something like that? I do not have the skill or the equipment at this time to be a keeper of corals. :) yet!

Thanks

·
The Watcher
2,046 Posts
In my Nano I had one clown and a yellow watchman for quite a while and the clown just stayed in one spot never really moving. I added a buddy and it was pretty cool watching the behavior change. Omen, the existing clown had a complete change, he/she began swimming all over the tank and then come close to the new addition check it out and then swim away. The new one demonstrated submissive behavior and settled right in as being the male and Omen become the dominant female. (which of course my wife loved) Anyways with the addition of a buddy Omen became much more adventureous. Just read up on adding a clown to a tank with an established one already.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Absolutely normal. I'm all for tank-raised fish, but I've pretty much concluded that something about tank-bred clowns rewires the ole brain circuitry a little. I started off with an ocellaris. He acted they way you described, so I bought a small tank-bred percula that was going in a BTA at the store. Then I had two clowns that hung out in the corner. I have torch, zenia, frogspawn, and a BTA and they wouldn't go near anything.

So I said ok, I'll get a mated pair of percs. No doubt they are paired, but now I have 4 goofy clowns and none of them will accept a host. Frustrating. I'm still hopeful that eventually they will find the nem, but I'm not making any bets on it.

·
The Watcher
2,046 Posts
As far as hosting, the clowns in my nano have hosted ricordias and are now hosting a toadstool leather. In my 75 the two maroons hosted my favia and even laid eggs underneath the flesh of the coral. The snowflake eel ate the eggs I think so then they moved to a ricordia and then I introduced a seabae anenome and they have hosted that since.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, cool thanks for all the input. I will have to do some reading on introducing a new friend.

As far as the lighting goes it is a regular florescent light. If I have to wait to get some shrooms then I will just wait.

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
My true percs in my 10G tank host a dead coral skeleton of all things. If I move it, they find it. Its there little rock.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts