The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It all started out around 4 months ago. With close to 125,000 miles on my car, it has needed many repairs recently:

Left Front CVJ Boot $150.00
Header Gasket: $1300.00
New Front Tires: $270.00 (incl balance, rotate, alignment)
Fuel pressure valve solenoid $160.00
Valve cover Gaskets: $200.00
Rear right wheel bearings $250.00
Transmission fluid filter and flush and fill: $150.00

All of the stuff done above was required and since it is cheaper than getting a new car, I figured I would do it all and keep the car.
The car also needs a new rear differential..... $1800.00...but I told Sunaru not to do it.

I was comfortable with getting all of the above done, except for the Header Gasket that requires engine removal. I told some friends and my wife that I wasn' t as concerned about the $ as I was about the possibility of the job creating other problems, most probably electrical problems. But last week I had it done along with the front right CVJ boot.

Guess what? I was right. After all the $$ I put in to the car I was rewarded with electrical problems after the header gasket job. At first I noticed a funny smell after driving the car. Then, occasionally the car was hard to start...I figured the battery was old and also needed replacement but put it off. Then after Sears replaced my front tires yesterday, the car would not start...the battery was dead and they had to jump the battery. I thought maybe they had left the llights or ignition on and since the battery was old, it drained.

Today, again the battery was dead and I jumped it with my wife's car this morning. It was ok all day after that. Then tonight it happened again and I got home from eating dinner at a local retaurant and tried to go out for gas. I then decided to drop it off at Subaru tonight and once again jumped the battery and began driving to Subaru in Wakefield at around 9 PM. I got about 2 miles and the car died. We pulled over and I noticed a bad "burning" smell and the battery was totally dead. I then suspected a battery line short, probably caused by the wires being burned due to placement close to a hot part of the engine or pinched by some thing heavy like the engine block:rolleyes:. I then decided not to try and recharge the battery for obvious reasons. We had the car towed to Subaru and filled out the "after hours" drop off form. Got home around 10:30 PM.

I am afraid that more than the battery may have been damaged by a short circuited battery power cable. Hopefully this is not the case but the next worry is to find the short or the "bad electrical connection". Will my car ever run again?????

Oh ya and while we were waiting for the tow truck, my dog jumped out of my wife's car and ran along Walnut Street, a busy street that is not safe for dogs, especially black ones at night. My wife was hysterical and was screaming at the dog to come to her. I told her to go back to the car since the tow truck had arrived. Luckily, I got the dog to come to me and secured her to her leash.....what a lousy night.:bawling::bawling::bawling:

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
Oh man sorry to here that.That;s like me when it rains it pours!Hope it's something easy,like a fuseable link.I'm surprise ,usally Subaru;s are a good car for 200,000 plus!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys....

The saga continues......
I picked up the car tonight and just to be sure they really replaced the alternator, I opened the hood and yes, the replace it....the bad news is that I noticed that my battery was leaking fluid from the top from the resovoir caps.....It has gotta be a short somewhere as far as I am concerned.

·
Registered
55 Posts
WOW when things go wrong they go wrong for you don't they. Sorry to hear all this. FWIW I have my car in the shop with a check engine light on that they can't seem to find out why. Can't wait to see how much this will cost as we are now going on day two.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Well i was right so far with the altenator. But I'd have that battery checked out to see how many volts it pushing out. You might need a new battery too. Optima is prob the best brand for batteries if it need be that you need one. Id bring it by sears automotive to have the volts checked. I hope you didnt pay to much for the altenator and labor on it. Me and my friend with our side business could have done it for half that :banana:. By the way where to doyou go to get your car repaired. I would recommend Garys Automotive in Revere/Saugus line right on Lincoln Ave. He is awesome when it comes to repairs and you wouldve got the right thing repaired in the first place.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
denvig said:
WOW when things go wrong they go wrong for you don't they. Sorry to hear all this. FWIW I have my car in the shop with a check engine light on that they can't seem to find out why. Can't wait to see how much this will cost as we are now going on day two.
When did it go on? Did it go on a little after you got gas. Alot of the time people get nervous that something is wrong but just ends up being that that you didnt turn your gas cap tight enough and for the strangest reason it makes the check engine light go on, but it happens. Im suprised they cant find anything cause usually when your check engine light is on all they have to do is connect it to your computer in the car and the code will come up for the reason that its on, which all makes me even more wanna say it had to do with you getting gas previously. When this happens the light sometimes stays on for days and weeks.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Car

I tested the battery last night and it is putting out 12 volts. I picked up the car this morning...they overfilled the battery and now everything is alright....for now:arg:....

Thanks for the reccomendation. I definitely would rather go somewhere else other trhan the dealer, but didn't kinow where to go. I'll defintely check out Gary's.

xrobbx03 said:
Well i was right so far with the altenator. But I'd have that battery checked out to see how many volts it pushing out. You might need a new battery too. Optima is prob the best brand for batteries if it need be that you need one. Id bring it by sears automotive to have the volts checked. I hope you didnt pay to much for the altenator and labor on it. Me and my friend with our side business could have done it for half that :banana:. By the way where to doyou go to get your car repaired. I would recommend Garys Automotive in Revere/Saugus line right on Lincoln Ave. He is awesome when it comes to repairs and you wouldve got the right thing repaired in the first place.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yea we thought it was the gas cap but that was replaced and did not help. But now they found the problem. It's an evap purge solenoid and vacuum supply problem. I'm told that it's a recall item and need to take it to the dealer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts