The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well the time is finally hear. I decided to go with a FOWLR for my first setup as it will also act as a quarantine tank just in case its needed. Boy its nice to finaly get salt in that water and kiss FW Good Bye. All i need now is some LR but that will be a 2 hr drive to the LFS and shell out the mula You cant beleve what this guy is selling it for 11.95LB :bigeek: I know shops need to make a profit but come on dont kill us

If every thing goes well with this tank ive got a 70 in my future but thats going all reef maby ill be ready around christmas hmm santa ya listening

·
Registered
559 Posts
11.95 a lb my god man your insane. I just got 3lbs off my lfs and only paid 8 dollars. The highest around where I live I have ever seen it was 6 bucks a pound. I think ya should check out ordering off the internet.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
You and I talked in chat about the price of LR! I bought a very nice piece(9.6lbs) for $48 and thought that was a bit high! ON-line store is the way to go for you!:)

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
If you just want to get the tank started on cycling throw some fish flakes in there...or a couple of frozen peas...or a piece of shrimp. Anything organic will work and you can save some money for decently priced rock.

$11.95 is highway robbery! :eek:

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
there is no way i would pay 11.95 a pound AND drive two hours to get it!!!

you should really consider just throwing in a piece of shrimp like alice said, and then ordering the rock online. you'll come out much much cheaper!

going rate round here is also 5.99 a pound for fiji, and 6.99 for tonga branch.

i would really suggest you not take that drive today. if yo uorder online you'll have the rock in 1-3 days anyway.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Two things struck me from the original post.

1. The cost of that rock (of course).

2. Possible use of the tank as a quarantine tank. A quarantine tank with live rock isn't the most effecient. You can't dose meds (copper based) if needed and catching fish after the quarantine process is going to be that much more difficult with LR providing ample hiding places - thus stressing the specimen out.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Gussy come on 20 min. online you'll have 45-50lbs. of LR delivered to the airport, which is probably less than a 2 hour dr. Your out the door for 200$ give or take. Have I mentioned the rock will look nice. Sometimes you got to bite the bullet and spend so you can save. This is nobody's cheap hobby.

think it over
ziggy

·
Bubble Algae Warrior
4,365 Posts
$11.95 # :eek:

I don't even buy steak at that price!

Get thy butt to the webstores of some of TRT's sponsors (and do a search for online LR sources with good reps), take a look...even with shipping i bet it will be cheaper and higher quality.

Good LAWD!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea im rethinking the LR im ordering it from Jeffs most likely and as to the LR in the fish only setup its more to help get things going and ballance the tank im not puttin much in it but ill still go online for it. oh and as to the airport isue its 4 hr drive to a major airport we just have a comuter airport here but fedex comes in so thats how ill get fish when it comes time for it the guy at the LFS has clowns in 35$ seems to steep for this guy

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
11.99 for rock, 35 for clowns...

sheesh i;d like to see this guys house! is he driving a ferrari or a lamborgini?

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
$35 for a clown??? Does it sing and dance and wear a big fat red nose???

Going rate for tank raised false percs is about $18

Then again, you are out in BF New Mexico... :)

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
icebear said:
$11.95 # :eek:

I don't even buy steak at that price!

Get thy butt to the webstores of some of TRT's sponsors (and do a search for online LR sources with good reps), take a look...even with shipping i bet it will be cheaper and higher quality.

Good LAWD!
Ice Id buy a Tbone if it was thick at that price :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yea the place ive gotta go to is up in colorado in a little town known for its resort like prices im not sure what it is but im thinking that the little mountain towns in colorado have a get it for as much as you can thing going on i guess thats why when we go up to our little cabin in the woods we even take water from newmexico and yup thats cheaper to

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Amazing eh ive got Durango CO to the north and then theres Albquerque to the south 4 hr drive (ech way) boy it sucks to live in a small town there are 4 pet stores here all with FW and when ive asked them about salt they all tell me the same thing well ya know you cant do saltwater here and if you do theres a 50-75% death rate in the fish nice eh they dont know so they bad mouth it

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.