The Reef Tank banner

My Blue Zoo order came in....!

3K views 49 replies 11 participants last post by  aquawolf 
#1 ·
all things look great and are acclimating...

BUT.... i have a question....

this came with the favites. Is it what i think it is :eek: ?

its HARD to get pics of it, it keeps moving and it has goop on it still....

i think its about 3/4 of an inch long...

What do i do with it? (i have no desire to kill it or let it die, but Todd will try to eat it!)

See less See more
#5 ·
no sump yet! i have the stuff for it, but i'm cycling new dry rock in it and was not going to hook it all together until the rock was done.

think it will color up or do pistols (or mantis?) stay this color if they are at this size.

i first saw it and thought mantis, then pistol, mantis, pistol again.... whats a quick, easy way to tell for sure?

i can't find a picture of either that looks enough like this....

#8 ·
ok... good.... i don't have to worry about broken glass then...

do you think its hardy enough to live in the cycling tank? *cringe*
(i checked the parameters in there the other day and all that showed up was ammonia... a nitrite spike would be deadly i'm sure... i don't suppose it could have come and gone in 2 days?, i'm sure shrimp can handle nitrates to some extent...?)

he's doomed if i put him in the display....

#9 ·
mantis generally will only extend their claw for the thumpin, they will color up. it should have one claw that is fat and stubbier. i think he'll be fine your cycling tank, although a plastic container with holes in it would be a good option in your tank for now. as mentioned a goby would be a cool duo to watch.
frags appear to be healthy, congrats, have fun.

#13 ·
i'm a little worried about the quarter sized urchin i got... i had put a note in asking for one on the large size ('golf ball' sz perfect), but i guess they only had this size... which is ok, its spiky so that might repel Todd if he goes in for a taste.

everything came in BIG. almost 2x the sizes i expected.

i am VERY happy with this order. :)

the closed brain is almost as big as both my fists...

the maze brain is bigger than my hand.

the candy cane has at least 5 heads,

the spaghetti looks like it will plump up nicely,

umbrella is a bit over 3" across- the upper end of the listed size-...

the flower leather is bigger than i expected for 'tiny',

the briareum is a nice large piece, also about 1" bigger than listed,

and the GSP i could cut up into pieces already. i may actually try later. i want it to cover either the back of the tank or a few long stalks of tonga branch.

And i got a fist sized zoanthid rock. can't wait to see the colors on that!

i have paid more for smaller pieces than this, i was actually shocked at the sizes of the brains!

Whoo....! so as long as i don't kill them or they aren't unhealthy in a way i can't determine now, this should be very good to watch grow. :)

#22 ·
thanks for all the nice comments :)

i'll try the sump for Shrimpet i guess...

also, what on earth is this? is it some sort of cucumber?

its tiny, and has little urchin-like suction feet on one side and a feathery crown in front. these are the best pics i could get, its right against the glass. this seems also to have crawled off the brain coral the pistol came out of.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.