The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

So Nina, my little blue tang looks so bad! it came out of nowhere too! I tried to take pics, but she's so quick it's hard to get a good one. I know that they're very susceptible to ich..but still..her looking fine one day and not the other makes me sad. I can't give you water specs..and I'm sorry..I know that would help you out a lot more..but I don't know them..we've been taking samples to our LFS. The only thing that's been a little off was that our salinity was a little high. She's eating fine..she's swimming around great..she just looks bad. There are two clowns and 2 anthia's in the tank with her and so far so good ..they seem fine..Her white/gray spots are kind of big and she looks dusty...

I just don't want to lose her..I'm still new at this so I'm no expert..I was just talking to our dude at the shop that we need to learn how to test our own water..

I apologize again for the pics..it's a lot harder to take a good pic of a tang than it looks..does it look like ich? or velvet? I will try to get better pics when i get home

thanks!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess saying what's in there might help....

90 gal
all live rock..prob 70 lbs
all live sand
30 gal sump
big *** protein skimmer
2 clowns
2 anthias
5 peppermint shrimp
lots of snails and crabs
3 corals
1 sea urchin
1 starfish

what is the best medication? we don't have a QT tank..do we need to get one? can you put medication in there along with everything else and it not affect it?

·
Fuzzy Stick Crazy
7,319 Posts
With shimp, hermits and other inverts you are very limited on what medications you can put in there. If you want you can try a natural approach by buying a skunk cleaner shrimp and see if he picks the parasites off your tang. No guarantees on that however.

A QT tank would work but are you reall capable of cataching a blue tang without pulling apart the rockwork?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With shimp, hermits and other inverts you are very limited on what medications you can put in there. If you want you can try a natural approach by buying a skunk cleaner shrimp and see if he picks the parasites off your tang. No guarantees on that however.

A QT tank would work but are you reall capable of cataching a blue tang without pulling apart the rockwork?
yeah, good point on the catching her part...with me being so limited b/c of my inverts..what are my options medication wise?

·
Fuzzy Stick Crazy
7,319 Posts
you have to get a positive diagnosis first. I still dont know what she has. Figure that out, then find a reef safe (and no copper) treatment.

You could also try a freshwater dip if you can catch her.

10 minutes in pH and Temp matched RO/DI water might help.

·
Registered
919 Posts
You also need to figure out why the tang is stressed in the first place. Check your water parameters and slowly lower the salinity. Higher salinity on the fish might be more stressful. It doesn't sound like ich if the spots are big. Likely something else, fungus maybe. Tough to really see in your pictures though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts