The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've googled toadstool corals behavior and seen that it's not unusual for a toadstool to close up during shedding or reproduction, but my beautiful fuzzy Toadstools looks like three small baseball gloves and seems to have shrunken some. Everything else (mushrooms, GSPs, cabbages, and zoas) look great and flourishing.

Please tell me this is a phase and they'll be back soon. How long should I wait before becoming concerned?

·
Registered
293 Posts
I would say that this is normal. Unless you see color change, or it starts "melting" you should be fine..... Sometimes though, it may be a flow issue or lighting. You can try adjusting one or the other to see if maybe this is why your toadstool isn't opening?

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They do she'd from time to time if you see any material laying around remove it, other than that it should be fine. How long have you had it?
I'd say a little over a month or so...here's what it did look like a few days ago...

Attachments

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The folks at my LFS suggested Iodide...seems none of the elements I add periodically had any. So, I bought some Kent and did a does...watching closely for a few days. I want to only change one thing at a time so if this doesn't have a positive affect I'll move it lower.

·
Premium Member
6,340 Posts
Whomever told you that dosing anything, especially iodide, would fix this immediately needs a nice whack on the head.

One, this is normal. Some soft corals close for upwards of three weeks out of the blue and come back looking better than ever. Nothing to worry about at all.

Two, iodine and its ions are so easy to overdose in reefs its not even funny. While an OD isn't terrible, it has the potential to kill any crustaceans in your tank. Most people that think they need to dose it don't have a test kit, which makes it all the worse.

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Whomever told you that dosing anything, especially iodide, would fix this immediately needs a nice whack on the head.

One, this is normal. Some soft corals close for upwards of three weeks out of the blue and come back looking better than ever. Nothing to worry about at all.

Two, iodine and its ions are so easy to overdose in reefs its not even funny. While an OD isn't terrible, it has the potential to kill any crustaceans in your tank. Most people that think they need to dose it don't have a test kit, which makes it all the worse.
I thought there wasn't a test kit for Iodide? I didn't say immediately but I do wonder if they were "just selling product"? He also suggested moving it.

·
Premium Member
6,340 Posts
I thought there wasn't a test kit for Iodide? I didn't say immediately but I do wonder if they were "just selling product"? He also suggested moving it.
There are many. And of course he was. Dosing is, for 90% of all reef aquariums, completely unnecessary. A simple water change would do more.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts