The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my new 75gal. tank. It will be SPS only. I put 75lbs of LR (45lbs fiji, 30lbs lalo) in 10 days ago. I have been running the lights on there regular schedule. I was wodnering (after reading) should I let the rock sit in the dark for some time? All parameters in tank are not testable with salifert equipment. any recomendations would be helpful as this will be my first BB tank. I have a 20 gal sump also BB(used to be a fuge) that I will make a frag tank.

·
Detritus is not a pet
386 Posts
Welcome to the Devil's Rejects Forum. ;) That looks nice to begin with. I would dark cure the rock for awhile, to get rid of some stored nutrients in the rock (cooking). Just make sure that flow is tweaked so detritus and excess food goes through your skimmer. BTW what skimmer are you planning on using?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a Berlin Turbo from my eisting system. I have liked it very much so far. Then again I will upgrade if need be and it had been a thought of mine.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,735 Posts
Welcome to TRT SPS(BB).

What you are talking about is cooking the rock (no heat needed ;) ), you may read the sticky about it for further info on the process. I have 2 BB tanks, the first I did cook the rock, the second I did not.

I do suggest cooking your rock to get the bulk of detritus out of it prior to starting the tank, but I don't feel it is necessary. The problem with uncooked rock is you may start your tank with a big algae bloom, depending on how bad it is. On my tank with uncooked rock I got some hair algae, and some macro algae but it is going away fast.

You could play this by ear, keep doing what you are, and if you start to see algae then go back and cook it, or just add astrea and cirth snails to deal with the algae. If your export is up to par it should eventually even out.

I like the way you have your rocks stacked, very open with the flat surfaces off the glass. This will help you on avoiding detritus settling areas.

I would look into better flow if I were you, this will keep you from having to siphon as often. (I am assuming that you just have the MJ's and return).

I don't like Berlin skimmers at all, I have a friend with one, and I feel they don't work/work well without major modifications. I would definitely look into a better skimmer, I personally prefer Beckett skimmers and I am not going back to any other type, but I hear things like the G3 work well (no experience with them though).

If you are running phosban I would stop, I don't feel it is needed with good flow, and the proper skimmer/skimmer setup, and FWIR it releases Iron into the water.

Remember the most important things in a BB setup is efficiently getting detritus to the skimmer, and having a skimmer capable of pulling it out.

HTH,
Whiskey

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the info. I am investing in a Deltec701 or the Euroreef 180 before I add any livestock. I run rowaphos in the reactor because in any other tank I have ran it in if there was an algae problem it would destroy it in days. After I am sure there will be no bloom from these rocks maybe I will stop running it. Maxi jets are also temporary until i can get my hands on the Vortech (any input on this would be great also).I am also runnign a mag 9.5 for my return. I think I will keep the lights on and see hwo it goes. I have been turkey bastering rock every other day and siphoning the next day. Do you think i should get a cleaner crew in there( couple of mexican turbos and ceriths)?
Thanks again
Ian

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,735 Posts
You are quick on the post :thumbup:

My personal favs as far as snails go are Asteria and Cirth, I would throw some in if I were you, it can't hurt.

I know nothing of those skimmers, perhaps somebody else could tell us if they are good. I am very glad to hear you plan to replace the Berlin though, I was worried about that one.

Good deal on the Rawaphos, but in a little while, when you get your system in order, stop running it for a while and see what happens, I don't think anything will, and if algae starts you know you need to look into where the phosphate is coming from.

On the 2 Vortech pumps, I would spend the same money on 2 Tunze 6100, with the multi controller. These have a proven name, and you can aim them anywhere you want. The vortech can't be aimed like this because it needs to be magneted through the glass. The Multi controller also has many very cool options, and since you were looking into spending $1000 anyway the price tag won't come as much of a shock. I would get the magnet mount for the Tunze pumps too.

You could also save a grip of money and get some Seios, the name is not as good, but the price tag is much better, and they put out the same style of flow, and I like them.

Mag 9.5 for return sounds good.

HTH,
Whiskey

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do have a couple questions about the Beckett. do you a have a pic of how it is set up, and running? where would you sugest picking one up for the best price? what pump do you have ruinning it? and what pump would you suggest?
Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That looks like a beast. where do you have that pipe running at the first T(looks like straight up)?
Andy? not sure on who this is. does he havea web site? if so what is the link?

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,735 Posts
Andy is the guy at MRC (my reef creations(http://www.myreefcreations.com/)) they make the skimmer.

It is a beast, I love it :D

The pipe that runs straight up is just a siphon break, I payed $9 for that PVC and I was going to use all of it ;) . You don't want your skimmer drain line to get a siphon, or an air dam, so you want a siphon break right off the gate-valve for the skimmer to run as consistent as possible. If it is in sump, you just wouldn't use pipe at all, but make sure the gate valve is above water level.

HTH,
Whiskey

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, the price on that baby is way cheaper then what i was looking at. You think just the standard MR-2 or the recirculating? I will probably run it externally as I do not have much room in my sump.
Thanks for all your help Wiskey.
Ian

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also, about what are the dimesnions of the Gen-x pump? You think I will be able to fit it in the left of my sump area(in above pic). the 424 pakcage has really got me wanting to get this thing. that is half of what I was looking to spend, now I can get my Water motion problem moving faster.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,735 Posts
I don't know anything about the recerc model, but I would go standard.

I don't know the dimensions of the PCX-55 off hand, and a quick search of a few sights, has brought me up empty handed. I will have to measure mine when I get home, remind me.

Ya, some skimmers are far more expensive, but I have not used a skimmer that works as well. Look into the auto shut down collection container too, when it gets full it shuts the skimmer down, so it doesn't overflow on your floor. This is really cool with BB because we are trying to skim wet, and it will avoid damaging overflows.

Whiskey

1 - 14 of 14 Posts