The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Sumpless and Proud
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took Mikayla in for her 9-year-old well-child check up yesterday. My baby is starting to develop breasts. I can't believe it is almost time to have "the talk."

While I'm excited for her to mature and grow up, it's also scaring the crap out of me....hormones, boys...not to mention the fact that I feel very, very old!

Does anyone have any advice to help me through this??

Jodi

·
Administrator
49,114 Posts
Jodi, it seems they go thru it earleir and earlier.. My daughter was 11 when it struck full force. Alas theres nothing you can do to stop it, just be honest and supportive of her. Remember back to the turmoil adolescence was for you. Now try to imagine it, being her age. She may turn into a totally different person at times, but now more than ever you gotta love her and keep and strengthen the mother/daughter bond. Keep the lines of communication open and help her grow into the woman you know she can be. This will be the hardest yet most rewarding phase yet, Good Luck :)
Doug

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
Good advice Doug :)

And Jodi, I know exactly how you feel! My daughter is 10 and going through that growing up phase as well. She told me that having a baby might be nice when she grows up, but only one and she hopes it's a girl because she's seen "how much trouble my brothers give you" LOL

·
Sumpless and Proud
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for all of your kind supportive words. Her father ditched us when she was 8 months old....so its just the two of us. My parents are very involved with her and she and Grampy are really close....so hopefully that will help.

She and I are really close and I pray it stays that way. We're all each other has had for 8 1/2 years....

J.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
WOW! I remember my daughters growing up and going through the "stage"!
My oldest daughter was very mature at 10 years old and well developed and boy did the boys come!! I had a talk with each of the boys as they showed up and only three stayed with her for any lenght of time!:D Something about cleaning a weapon while talking to them got their full attention and also I said something to the affect that "If you did not show my daughter the utmost respect there was not a place on this earth you could hide".:eek:
Taught my daughters how to kick some butt if a boy gave them trouble and it came in handy a couple of times!:funny:

Unfortunately neither one is married yet so maybe I over protected them! Oh well! It was the best of times and the worst of times but my daughters and I came through it just fine!:dance:

·
Registered
842 Posts
I have three girls and I can tell you just my personal experience in what helped me keep my girls on the straight and narrow......sports. I kept them busy with soccer, swimming, cross county. It doesn't necessarily have to be sports but even some other activity. Just keep them busy...so they don't have too much free time on there hands. Just my .02

·
Administrator
49,114 Posts
hehehehehe Johnny. When mine was a teen and the boys came around, i always invited them to the local gravel pit for an afternoon of plinking cans and stuff. Amazing how polite they became after that. Manners and morals are essential , but a good dose of Mossburg reinforces them ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.