The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can I find a good set of tongs or something like this to get me to the bottom of a 30" tall tank? I found these but not much else? Anybody found a real good device for this?

·
Banggai Mommy
2,395 Posts
I use a set of 24" hemostats. A bunch of us group-ordered them, but I'm pretty sure you can find them online through hobby shops.

They aren't graceful or good for fine work, but they help me.

Danielle

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
RickO in Atlanta has a kewl apparatus for getting stuff from the systems when you don't want to introduce the stuff on your hands into the tank, the type of device used for patients to pick up dropped items when they are of limited ROM. Might ask him where he bought his.

·
Registered
808 Posts
urry4me:

i have a pair like the ones you found on drs foster smith that are 36" long i believe and work great.

eheim makes some also but have a much smaller bite.

HTH
Brandon & Kelly

·
http://atlanta-smas.org/
1,688 Posts
i have the 36 inch coralife. the ones i bought were a little more expensive they are all stainless and plastic. i have had them for close to 4 years and they are still keeping my hands out of the tank

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Toadfish said:
TD, I think those are hemostats.
nope...

Hemo= blood
stat = (kindof) stop

...hemostats are pliar-like surgical instruments used to clamp ligated blood vessels or bleeders from trauma.

The itemss I am speaking of are definitely some type of DME device. Doug, are you're folks familiar with these? They have a pistol grip and opposable jaws that are perfect, about a 36" reach on length, jaws open about 4" smf jabr s 1cm sq grip pad at the end of each jaw. I have used them for elderly patients or those that cannot bend over while ambulating. I don't know that they have a name as such (can't believe that Medicare doesn't have a name for them)...

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Tom is this what you are talking about? It has the pistol grip like you were talking about. My wife was given this when she left rehab to go home! Helped her so she could pick up things!:)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Yes!! That is one type of them, dunno what they are made of, but occasionaol use in the tank should be ok, as I think they are rubber, aluminum, and plastic (dunno if they have lubrication in any moving parts)

What is that called? (heh, in the clinic we call them "claws" )

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Tom they are safe to use in the tank as I have done several times!

I called medical supply co. here and he had two names for them.

Reachers and Pik Stik!:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts