The Reef Tank banner
41 - 60 of 95 Posts

· Aquatic Philosopher
15,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
thanks for the offer explosive, but I am not collecting aiptasia right now... I am only interested in Alpha. As for you nem, please kalk, lemon juice, joes, or peppermint the little bugger and share you experience. I guess it would be good for the experiment to have more "third party" results! :D

· Aquatic Philosopher
15,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
you can kalk-away you pests Scott if they are that much of a problem... ok, just kidding. Although having Gem tangs budding and spreading across a tank would certainly be a problem!

· Aquatic Philosopher
15,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
The nem has moved since the last report... but I have not seen any new buds or lacerations. Still it has had a meal tonight and I will keep waiting.

Considering how "fast" I have heard these spreading, I am wondering if some reports only see "one" but there many hiding and thus a report of massive splitting... but my experiment is not generalizable... so...

· Aquatic Philosopher
15,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Ok, photo update here

here is alpha... he is in a difficult place to shoot, but I got the blurry guy.... kinda

· Aquatic Philosopher
15,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Ok, feed the bugger last night... still no splits... kinda getting bored :D

· Kid Reefer
4,234 Posts
Maybe the anemones are only splitting due to their stress of not having food? Try to stop feeding him. I would also get a couple more.

· Aquatic Philosopher
15,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Well, I want to promote healthy aiptasia reproduction :D I know that stress may prompt splitting, but this is not really "reproduction" of a growing specimen population. The goal is not just for the nem to split or bud, it is to grow a nice furry rock of aiptasia!

Since aiptasia is much more hearty than the average coral specimen, stressing an aiptasia would kill other corals... if they were in the tank. I don't want to force poor tank conditions because this would not be a "normal" situation for those trying to keep a tank. Afterall, many new hobbyist feed the nems by mistake and other overfeed to provide an abundant food source.

Finally, I am really doubting the reported reproduction rate of these nems. It seems that a single nem (at least this nem) can not turn into a plague as quickly as I initially thought. So I am really going to doubt the other reports of "one" anemone turned into "thousands". I think there were already multiple nems that just were not observed.

· I'm here for breakfast
539 Posts
Mine never seem to spread till I try to kill them with aptasia X, I kill 10 and a couple days later I've got more at different locations. I think you should mess with it a little . . .

· Aquatic Philosopher
15,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Thanks for the link. I think I read that same article a while back, it is a good one.

Anyways, it got some mysis and I did about a 40% waterchange. Still no visable betas...

· Aquatic Philosopher
15,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
fed him last night, still no new nems... I guess "science" is always this boring with the waiting!

· Aquatic Philosopher
15,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
well, this is turning into a nightmare... an aiptasia that will not multiply. This would be a noob's dream, a cute little nem that is all well behaved

· Aquatic Philosopher
15,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
fed the nem today... no other news really

41 - 60 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.