The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
c.a.g. owner and operator
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well as i said i would start a thread about my tank . i will add things as go along . so here it goes !
[tank specs]- perfecto glass 75 gal tank , drilled for two 1" bulkheads .
[tank stand and canopy] - d.i.y.
[lighting] - (4) 54 watt t-5s ( two actinic and two aquablues ) driven by a workhorse -7 ballast which is divided by a d.i.y. relay on a timer . (i'll explain later ) also two m.h driven by plane old magnetic ballasts in a d.i.y. fan cooled ballast box . one 250 watt xm10k the other a 175 watt 10 k xm .i'll be upgrading the 175 to another 250 soon. also three moon lights for night viewing .
[circulation]- sump return provided by a gen-x pump rated at 1190 g.p.h , in tank circulation provided by two tunze 6060's rated at 1600 g.p.h. each , a over the back closed loop run by a mag-7 pump thru a scwd , and one maxi jet with a hydor rotater attached rated at 295 g.p.h.and last but not least a tunze wavebox ..
[filtration]- 30 gal acrylic sump , two filter socks (one sock for the two drains from the tank and the other for the skimmers ) rotated every other day , two skimmers - one a euro reef 5-2 and the other a aquatic life support systems venturi style skimmer driven by a mag -5 pump .( this skimmer was believe it or not was found it the trash by a co- worker ) activated carbon added as needed .

o.k. thats the core of the system ! now on with the pics !

·
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i'll start with a pic of the former tank which was a oceanic 37 gal tank and you will see why i needed more room !

·
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry about the size of some of these pictures . i tried to size them all but i may have missed some . closer shot of the 37

·
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
next few pictures are of the d.i.y. stand

·
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the stand has been made so the whole front panel is removeable. the extra pieces of 2x4 "s in the lower left have since been removed . original plan was to include a ten gal refugium but got canned after i decided to go bare bottom .

·
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
a rear shot of the removable front . you can see the six locks that hold it in place , this has worked perfect with no binding at all .

·
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the stand un-finished . in hind site i wish i would have used oak plywood instead of the sanded birch .

·
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
stand finished . i sprayed 3 coats of urethane clear ( semi gloss ) and sealed all of the gaps with silicone . i have some pictures of the canopy also if anyone is interested .

·
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
this is a pic of the d.i.y. skimmer boxes and the pickup for the closed loop. the boxs are made from 4x4 electrical boxes run thru a table saw . the water height is set by the piece of pipe between the box and the union . these are not glued together in case i need to make adjustments . as a side note i have since installed new smaller boxes that are 4x2" to give alittle more room .

·
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
out of frustration with the supplied mounting hareware that came with the wavebox i fabricated this bracket . works some much better now - something they should include in the first place !

·
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
this is a pic of my d.i.y. temp controlled fan . i uses a digital home thermostat that has had the temp sensor desoldered and made into a temp probe . the fan and power supply are 12 volt . this has worked out better than i would have ever thought ! this same idea will be used on a temp control switch to shut off the halides if the tank temp gets to high .

·
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
here is a pic of the d.i.y. relay for the workhorse 7 ballast . with this relay it allows me to have the 2 actinics come on before the daylight bulbs . the relay is a 110 volt 3 pole double contact . it is plugged into a timer . think of the relay as automated toggle switches . with use of these mechanical relays you can accomplish just about anything you need to automate .

·
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the sump ! not in the picture is the lastest safety idea , i have since installed a sump over flow hose which drains out to the garage . no more worrys about the sump overflowing !

·
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
main pump in the garage . ah silence ! the black box in the rear is the battery back up pump , iwill post more on that later .

·
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
a couple of fun pics before i call it a night ........

·
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
a growth shot of my green stag . pic 1 .

·
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
as it looks now . have a good evening ....

·
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ski1297 said:
You have some very nice tanks! How long have they been up?
thanks ! the 37 was set-up for about a year before i put the 75 together . it has been running since august of 05 .

1 - 20 of 46 Posts