The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 340 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Since I am new to TRT, thanks to FatTony for introducing me to the site, I thought I would share some pictures and information about my tank setup.

I am definitely one who has learned and is still learning from experience and has bought many pieces of equipment more than once. I originally started out with a 12 gallon NanoCube, but with the helpful advice of a certain LFS I lost almost everything in the tank. :angry: I then purchased a used 90 gallon with a Marineland Tidepool II wet/dry and a set of PC lights for it. I got it going and was doing alright, but did not like the penetration of the lights with that deep of a tank. I then got the deal of the century so to speak on the 75 gallon system I am currently running.

Here are some pictures and descriptions:

Lighting:

For lighting I am using a 48" Aqualight Pro with 2 150 watt MHs and 2 96 watt Actinic PCs. With a little effort I was able to fit the fixture into the canopy without any modification and no blocking of the cooling fans.

Sump:
I am running a CPR CY-294 wet/dry for the skimmer and sump.

I took out the bio bale section and am using that for the sump area. This unit came with dual skimmer chambers and can handle 1500 gph. Since my tank is only a 75 gallon I plumbed it to only one skimmer and have the other pump and collection cup as extra in case something goes wrong.

My return pump is a Mag 9.5

Refugium:
Using a design I found on Melev's site for his Model I seaparated sump and fuge, I built my own acrylic refugium for the system.

I am lighting it with a power compact flood light from Lowes that uses 26 watts of electricity but puts out the equivalent light of a 200 watt bulb.

The Display:
This is what the tank looked like back in the summer of 2005

Then this summer we lost our air conditioner. My water temp never went above 81 degrees before so I do not have a chiller. We were in Aiken for the day and came home at 8:00 PM to a sauna with the MH lights cooking the tank. I quickly shut off all lights and pointed extra fans at the system, but it was too late. I don't even want to begin to tell you of the corals, fish, and inverts that you lose when the tank temp hits 93. :( I should mention that this was a Friday night and I could not get anyone to come fix the AC until Monday and it actually took a new inside and outside unit. :doh:

Anyway, since then I have been fighting a battle with cyano and hair algae. I am making good progress and have a phosban reactor coming in next week that I want to try. I am going to take some detailed algae shots before hooking up the reactor and then I will try to update those shots on a weekly basis so everyone can see what happens.

Here are a couple of full tank shots from today:

Any comments are most welcome. If there is something in particular you want to know more about or want better pictures of just let me know.

·
Administrator
46,667 Posts
Good luck with the algae battle, perhaps the heat kill is causing the LR to leach more PO4, hopefully the reactor helps. that would be less traumatic than pulling the rock and cooking it

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am hoping the reactor will work as well as advertised. I definitely don't want to cook the rock as I have way too much life on it and in it. The battle is mainly down to hair algae now, a few months ago red slime covered almost everything and now it is down to 2 little patches. Purchasing new CUC, manually pulling hair algae, turkey basting the devil out of the rock, and putting more light to the fuge on 24/7 instead of night time only is doing the trick. I have to admit it has been a slow painful process though and at one point I was ready to just about sell everything and quit the hobby for good.

·
Registered
232 Posts
That is a wonderful reef you got there :EX:

Your story reminds me about the time i went out of country for a WHOLE MONTH, and i let my neighboor taake, over the tank with no experience whatsoever, (didnt know anyone that i trusted enough to be in my house everyday and know about reef keeping), and yeah when i got back i lost my singapore angel fish, trigger fish, yellow tang, maroon clown etc etc :cry:, there was so much algae on the front glass that you literally couldnt see through it.:shocked:

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks FishFanatic.

Yes, the most discouraging, and heartbreaking, part was the loss of much of my livestock. I lost all of my SPS corals, hydnaphora, bali green slimer, montipora caps and digitata, potato chip coral, and pink birds nest. I lost my 2 scooter blennies, 2 yellow watchman gobies, small yellow tang, along with almost all of my snails and hermit crabs. How some of them even survived is still beyond me, some of them are extemely resilient.

How did your tank make out? Were you ever able to get it back to some form of normalcy?

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dug around some and found these shots of the tank before the air conditioning fiasco.

Full tank shot:

Left side shot:

Right side shot:

Oh man, these pics just reminded me that the hammer, both plates, and the feather duster didn't make it and my metallic green brain is still trying to make a go of it.

I am going to see if I can replicate these shots and post them to show what everything looks like now.

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the welcomes and encouragement.

I took some new pictures of the tank just now. For some reason they turned out darker than the actual tank is? I tried to make it where you could sort of stitch them together to get an idea of how the whole display looks now.

Full tank shot:

Left side shot:

Middle tank shot:

Right side shot:

I do have some new tank inhabitants after all of this, Majanos. They are going to start getting a special feeding this wednesday. ;)

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
nice tank wolf... i was having the Cyano battle in my 55 as well... before the rock goes in i will scrub the affected areas and remove as much of it as possible... then with the new skimmer it should handle the overfeeding issues my wife has...LOL

·
softie crazy
634 Posts
You might wont to try cutting back your mh a few hours to get read of the hair algea and run Phosphate Sponge and try cutting back on feeding,and for the red slim try using Chemi Clean works very well......well hope this helps you out and welcome to the board...and you have a very nice setup beautifull.....:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the comments and suggestions everyone.

I am anxiously awaiting my Ferric Oxide shipment from Two Part Solutions so I can get this new Phosban Reactor going and see what king of impact that has on the nuisance algae.

I also just read the thread where Fly Guy posted about boosting the magnesium level to kill bryopsis if need be. This site has been very helpful already and I appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I read somewhere, and now I can't remember where it was, that it may not be a good idea to run the full amount of Phosban right away. They were saying that some of the corals may be used to the phosphate and that stripping it away too quickly could cause harm. They recommended starting out using 1/4 of the amount of media in the reactor.

Has anybody else heard of this?

I was planning on throwing in 150 grams and going for broke with that reactor and documenting the results, so any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
46,667 Posts
I read somewhere, and now I can't remember where it was, that it may not be a good idea to run the full amount of Phosban right away. They were saying that some of the corals may be used to the phosphate and that stripping it away too quickly could cause harm. They recommended starting out using 1/4 of the amount of media in the reactor.

Has anybody else heard of this?

I was planning on throwing in 150 grams and going for broke with that reactor and documenting the results, so any advice or guidance would be appreciated.
I thought I had just read that a day or so ago, as well
I always tend to err on the side of caution

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
I only fill my reactor up about 2-3" and swap it out every two weeks. It's way under the recomended amount but works well. I started slow with about 1" for the first two weeks.

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
hey wolf, those Rics are huge! we'll see ya Sunday. have a safe trip and obey the speed limits, the cops are everywhere!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Goingpoor,
How many treatments of the chemi clean did you have to do? And how long did it take to clear up? I have been battling it since using Kick
Ich in my tank. I do water changes and vacuum the gravel and it returns the next day. I took some of the rocks out and rinsed them off.
Any other suggestions?

You might wont to try cutting back your mh a few hours to get read of the hair algea and run Phosphate Sponge and try cutting back on feeding,and for the red slim try using Chemi Clean works very well......well hope this helps you out and welcome to the board...and you have a very nice setup beautifull.....:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Tony, I told you on the phone I was over run with them but I sure wish I had some that were different colors. Does anybody have some they would like to trade? These are all kind of peach or light brown with bright green mouths. I'll be sure to watch my speed, thanks for the heads up.

jgordie,
I have never used chemi clean and am hoping to defeat this without using it. Hopefully Goingpoor will check back on this thread and give you an answer. I read about another method for fighting back the red slime. They said to turn off all of your lights for 3 days. On the 4th day run just the actinics or supplemental lights. On the 5th day run the daylights half the time you normally do. On the 6th day go back to the regular schedule. During this time you will want to have your skimmer running full bore and use a turkey baster to blow the cyano off the rocks every once in a while. Hopefully you will be able to get it under control soon.

1 - 20 of 340 Posts