Discussion Starter · #1 ·
55 Gallon DT ~48x12x23
Aquaticlife T5 HO 48" 4 bar
Aqueon Proflex Sump Model 2
CPR-CS 90 overflow box
Mag-drive pondmaster 700GPH return from sump
2x MP10's
70lbs Fiji supreme live rock in DT
chaeto + 2-3 lbs small coral chunks in the refugium (no sand)
Reef Octopus 100 Skimmer
BRS GFO reactor
18W UV Steralizer
RO+DI + ATO

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good start, how are you liking the skimmer and lights?
Skimmer was a mother to get going and tons of micro bubles for like 2 weeks, but now its going good no issues.. I don't have much experience with others but I would have to think there is better.

The lights I'm not too sure about the quality, Initially the white light only came on when the fixture was upside down, I thought it was some upside down safety switch so I had a look, it turned out to be just a loose connection from the ballast. It was an easy fix, and they run great. Overall I would have to say I am very very pleased with them well worth the ~350. No shimmer like halides, but I dont have to worry about a chiller and high energy bills.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Good decision to order the r/o unit, you'll save money and keep better water quality. I have the coralife 220 and it does the job but like you said there's better. And the 4 bulb should be fine for most corals and if you stack your rock high enough you may be able to keep the Easeyer sps. Looks like a good start can't wait to see it good luck.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Looks good, and it will look great with some corals but I know it can take time. And this is 100% opinion but maybe instead of such a solid shaped rock work maybe build it up on one side or middle or both sides to give it a little more shape and allow for more light demanding corals and maybe some rock coming towards the glass, but looks good!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks good, and it will look great with some corals but I know it can take time. And this is 100% opinion but maybe instead of such a solid shaped rock work maybe build it up on one side or middle or both sides to give it a little more shape and allow for more light demanding corals and maybe some rock coming towards the glass, but looks good!
Yeah I'm not super thrilled with it either, my wife even said it looks a little clumped together. I'll probably end up having a look at some differnt aquascaping idea's and adjust it a little bit better. It's cooking right now anyways so I have a little time.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ya mows the best time. It's not fun dealing with corals especially atatched to the rock, it'll take a few trys just make sure your formations are sturdy.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not sure what corals I want just yet, but I'm looking to start adding some fish here real soon. I want to get your guys feel to see if I'm overstocking the 55..... This is NOT going to be added all at once of course.

Inverts/Cleanup Crew:
3 turbo snails (currently have)
1x sand sifting star (about 2" sandbed)
scarlet skunk cleaning fish.
red banded snapping shrimp

Fish:
4-5 blue-green chromis
2x ocellaris clowns
1x yellow watchman goby (for the snapping shrip).
1x blue tang
1x yellow tang (maybe?)
1x copper banded butterfly (once I become a little more experienced with the easier to keep fish).

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Agreed but yellow tang is very happy, The wife approved a bigger tank now so I'm trying to decide between a 150 and a 180 gallon.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Rock Work

Yeah I'd go as large as you can.

If you think about your rock formations it would make sense to break it up a bit as it will allow for better flow through out.

I myself have a reef ready 55 with a ver1 maxflow sump 1. The sump may push out 450 gal/hour, but it's a start and I'll probably not be able to keep sps at least for now. When I finally get things set up I'll be using a canister filter with U/V (Hopefully I can turn the U/V off and on.) A couple of wave makers and the return should keep things moving about. It's currently running with sand and crushed coral/ shells mix to keep the sand from going every where. When the live rock is put in I'll have already mapped it out and then when placing will determine if the flow through out is proper.

Anyway, you're much further ahead than I am and it looks great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts