Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok, here goes nothing!

equipment:

custom DSA 40 gallon breeder with built in overflow
reef octopus sro1000 skimmer
eheim 1260 return pump
2 mp10w es powerhead
spectrapure dual media reactor for carbon and gfo
eshopps rs-200 reef sump(a steal off ebay!)
spectrapure uplc auto top off system
spectrapure maxpure 90gpd ro/di
salifert tests for nh4, no3, no2, ca, mg
hanna checkers for po4, alk
american marine pinpoint pH probe
eiheim 150w heater
2x ai vega color led's
50 lbs reefcleaners dry rock
instant ocean salt mix
carib sea special grade reef sand in a 1/2"-3/4" sand bed
aqua euro 1/13hp chiller run with a mj900(i think)

Attachments

· Premium Member
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
sump mock up

here is the sump mocked up. getting some stainless steel svrews so i can put the stand back together after i get the sump in. unfortunately, it has to go in from the top.

Attachments

· Premium Member
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its an eiheim 150w. im thinking of going with two smaller ones maybe. should i just angle it so the cap and cord is out of the water? the heater has a bracket that the suction cups attach to so you can take it in and out without removing the suction cups.

question. should i put a dab of silicone on the suction cups when i decide on the final placement?

· Premium Member
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
is all that 500w for your 40b? the room my tank is is runs on the warm side, so im more worried about too much heat. think i should go with 2 100w instead of the 1 150? or two 150's even? i guess the more you have, the less each one has to work, and added redundancy?

· Premium Member
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thats chilly....tho id probably love it! im probably gonna get a controller at some point as well. my room never gets below high 60's low 70's, so i should be ok i think. im more worried that im gonna need a chiller, tho i run my a/c year round, so i think ill be able to get away with it.

· Premium Member
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
while i was waiting on the tank i got to do a bunch of dry fitting, so i kinda knew how everything was gonna go.:D i just have to get the plumbing for the return cemented then im ready for a leak check! im gonna do it with regular tap, since im waiting on my ro/di filters(my di and membrane dried out) then ill rinse it out with a ro/di run through.

should my drain line from the tank be underwater in the sump, or is it ok for the water to cascade. i figured it doesnt matter since the skimmer will be making bubbles anyways and it will help with gas exchange. dunno yet if ill be running a filter sock. maybe while im cycling, anyways.

· Registered
3,451 Posts
New equipment always looks so cool.
Looks good so far man, the only question that I see (and it just my be the algle of the picture) Make sure you can get inside the cabinet and easily get the top off of the skimmer for emptying..

:D

· Premium Member
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks!

no i dont have the vegas yet. still saving some pennies. i have some time as im planning on a long cycle cus' im using all marco rock. maybe some place will have a great black friday sale!

i can get the cup off, just barely. it comes off inside easy, its just a little tight getting over the edge of the sump. i was thinking i might have to dremel a notch in the top of the sump, but it clears without tipping. that was one of the first things i checked actually. what are the thoughts of dremeling acryllic? it would be easier if there were a notch.

thats the advantage of having all the stuff while your waiting on the tank.......endless dry fitting and clearance checking!

busy weekend this weekend, but hopefully ill have the tank on the stand and plumbed by the end of it. right now im looking for a top off water container. thinking 10g would be good. problem is, the space it needsa to go is 10.5 inches wide. im hoping lowes/walmaet has a skinny garbage can thatll fit.

· Premium Member
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
im doing a shallow sand bed. love the free and easy lifestyle of the bare bottom club, just cant come to terms with the look. im thinking 1-1.5" aragonite. does aragonite fall under the "sand" umbrella as far as what creatures you can keep, like sand sifters and gobies? or do some animals require true "sand"? and im guessing the depth will affect what i can keep as well?

· Premium Member
26,774 Posts
I keep gobies and wrasse in my bare bottom tank, they don't even notice..

but yes some things do require sand, but a lot of the stuff should do fine with aragonite or bare bottom.

I would still sugest you start off bare bottom for a month or two, basically cooking your rock inside your tank :D

once you rocks are finished cooking add the aragonite and your good to go ;)

1 - 20 of 503 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.